No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: This reminds a bit of Isle of Wight Summer Fruits or Meadow garden?  (Read 1719 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: This reminds a bit of Isle of Wight Summer Fruits or Meadow garden?
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 04:42:06 PM »
It's not much, but it makes a change from you having to talk to yourself so often, as you work things out and report your detailed research workings as you go.  :-*
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 06:30:22 PM »
I wonder why the seller says Swedish, did you ask them?

Blown or solid? That handle is odd!

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 06:48:11 PM »
No, because it appears to be a charity and there are no other kind of relevant pieces of glass in the listing.  I thought it might have been a guess to go with the 'duck egg' blue because it appears that in the interiors world, Swedish is concomitant with duck egg blue, as is 'shabby chic' with rustic French  ;D

I might ask her though, it might just have a huge label attached to it.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 07:18:42 PM »
 8) Ever the optimist, m.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 10:45:53 AM »
umm, not at all dissimilar to the effect and including the bits used (where the yellow bits are identical) to this early Peter Layton vase listing
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Early-Peter-Layton-Stone-Form-Iridescent-Studio-Art-Glass-Lustre-Green-Vase-/132029933072?hash=item1ebd98e610:g:Zl8AAOSw2xRYSxWg

So .... did someone stick a handle over the opening?
Having looked at it again and turned the linked vase upside down so looking at the base shot in other words, it's the same shape.
I don't think someone has glued a handle over an opening.  I think it was a giant paperweight thing but has a handle stuck on it.
I think it's most likely to be a Layton piece unless there were others doing exactly the same thing.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 11:46:49 AM »
Yup, signed Peter Layton piece  :) 

Someone must have stuck the knop onto a vase perhaps?  otoh, the hole the stem of the knop is stuck into is very small, the width of the knop stem as far as I can see, certainly nothing like the size of the vase opening on the one I just linked to.  It's very heavy and has loads of wear on the base but is hollow and you can just with a magnifying glass and held at the right angle against the light, just see the screw end of the knop.

I'm curious about what to do with it.  It looks gorgeous with the handle on it- I think I'm going to leave it because the hole opening is nothing like as large as a vase would be or is as above.  It's tiny so  presumably for a single stem or nothing as would be impossible to clean it. Perhaps the shape is what they call a 'disc' - it looks pretty similar in shape to those pieces, so an early version of? or even what is called here (top left), a 'pebble'
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/521995413033503287/

Edited to add:

looking at this listing for a 'shell'  piece ,the base colour of the iridescence is the same so presumably the same period i.e.1985
http://www.jvs-en-co.com/a-30357663/english-unica/peter-layton-vase-or-object-shell-reserved/
Mine also has a snapped off pontil mark showing and a ground base as does this shell.

I'm leaving the handle.  I like it  ;D
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2016, 06:28:53 PM »
I think there is or was some more writing on the base but the wear is so extensive it's difficult to tell whether it was a date or another signature (thinking NS Clarke here)

I came across some information on the board from Adam A saying that in the 1980s Peter did some collaborative work with a jeweller, Margaret Turner :
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,56000.msg317425.html#msg317425

'Quote from: mhgcgolfclub on March 09, 2014, 10:19:47 AM
I have never seen a Peter Layton piece with any silver frogs etc.

That's the sort of rash thing I would say, but I've learnt that one should never say never! :-))
In the mid 1980's Peter Layton did some collaborative pieces with a jeweller, Margaret Turner.....
Not saying nuffink more as I am interested to hear what Peter says! Just wanted to put down my marker that I got there first :-))
'

This was interesting purely because of the knop (although of course it's possible it was just stuck onto the piece by someone else), but having looked this up briefly all I've found is this link, which says it's a 'vase' but might have been a perfume bottle maybe with a 'jeweller's' stopper or something hence the collaboration?
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/david-lay-f-r-i-c-s/catalogue-id-srdavid10023/lot-a31e70b7-f91d-436e-8ed3-a44700fdf0ff

Margaret Turner's jewellery is fab.  But it's probably nothing to do with my piece :)
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2016, 07:08:18 PM »
Vases, especially studio glass pieces, do not require that bits of dead vegetation are put in them. ;D
But how lovely to get to the bottom of it!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2016, 07:20:01 PM »
yes too true  ;D

I'm very happy with it - think I've managed to photograph part of the, now very faint and covered in scratches, writing and think it reads 1985.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2016, 08:16:52 PM »
Peter Layton or Norman Stuart-Clarke? ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand