No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A barrel decanter  (Read 669 times)

Offline Laird

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
A barrel decanter
« on: December 18, 2016, 12:46:42 PM »
My interest in glass is focused on vintage drinking glasses and decanters.

This is a decanter which I bought (10 Pounds) recently. I believe it is possibly Georgian. Can it be dated? Is there a date range when this style was fashionable?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline The Glass Staircase

• Members
    • Scotland
Re: A barrel decanter
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 01:55:45 PM »
Looks like a regency period cordial decanter and would have came in a set of 3 with a stand but its hard to really say with the photo provided

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 02:32:10 PM »
believe these barrel shaped spirit bottles can date to George IV - Regency period i.e. somewhere in the region of the last decade of the C18 until the end of George IV (1830), and agree they sometimes were found in frames -  but always wise to be cautious initially as there are copies of most styles.            Large relief diamonds - as seen here - were often a feature on such pieces.            Sometimes the shape of the stopper can also help to date, but it's unlikely that you're going to pin an actual date on such a bottle, if that was what you were hoping - antique too, rather than vintage.

Would be helpful if you are able to provide bigger pictures, and if possible let us see a picture of the underside of the decanter  -  at the moment your pix aren't big enough to see details.              Would also be of interest to know the height of your bottle  -  it won't help remotely with dating, but the more information available makes you glass of greater interest.

Have you looked on line at various shapes etc., and is that why you feel this is possibly Late Georgian?

P.S.   the underside of your bottle, if period, should show a very wide but probably shallow depression where the scar was ground away  -  sometimes these Georgian bottles can actually have a double depression  -  one slightly less wide sitting inside a wider one.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 11:04:37 PM »
in case of interest, here is an example of the double depression under the spirit square.

Offline Laird

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 09:48:59 AM »
Thanks for responding.

Height to the pouring lip is 6.5 inches and to the top of the stopper 8 inches.

The base is a single large dished depression taking up the whole area of the base. Sorry, unable to take a pic without drinking all the whisky inside and it's too early in the morning even for me.

Offline Laird

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 12:11:39 PM »
Perhaps this is a better pic.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 02:47:36 PM »
you could of course have decanted the booze and then photographed the underside   -  still, dare say it'll all be gone by Hogmanay ;)

It does sound right for the period. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand