No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Davidson daisy Greek key pattern lidded small jar barrel for show.  (Read 2463 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Confident this is Davidson but not signed so ready to be shot down.

Can't find it online or in the glass gallery, purchased with a stamped 5 3/4 inch plate which looks like they should be together?.

The lid is printed in reverse with a smooth outer surface, not sure what it's for as it looks like a biscuit barrel but i would have thought too small.

6 1/2 inches in height by 4 inches across the waist.

Regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Davidson daisy Greek key pattern lidded small jar barrel for show.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 08:18:40 PM »
Shot of both together
Chris Parry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 09:52:36 PM »
I would agree with the suggestion of a biscuit barrel - but don't think I recall ever seeing one with an under plate.    It does have a Davidson look about it  -  the daisy wheel and Greek Key as you say - but no idea as to whether it really is or not.          Did you try the Stewart's web site?

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 10:29:53 PM »
No, have you got the link?, here is a pick of the plate identical colour and mould marks, a bright white.

The way it's made i would think they would struggle to put a Davidson stamp in anywhere, the base being mould blown as Christine says the plunger would not make it's way out the top being much narrower than the middle and the lid pressed in reverse would mean a stamp on the upper surface. Unless i'm wrong in the way it has been made.
Chris Parry

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 12:56:51 AM »
Davidson site is http://www.cloudglass.com/History.htm  8)

I have a Davidson Victoria Diamond Jubilee butter dish with a lid with the pattern on the underside, Chris.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 09:08:04 AM »
There is currently a marked Davidson lidded container with matching underplate on ebay which is very similar in shape to your "Greek key & daisy pattern" lidded jar, but the ebay piece is decorated with Davidson's RD 340825 (registered 5 July 1899) pattern:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322405342870?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The size is given as  "standing at 20 tall with a 19cm wide stand" so I suspect that this is a biscuit jar / barrel.

Chris, from the size you give, I suspect that your 'barrel' is a honey or marmalade jar. In fact, Davidson shows 2 honey / marmalades in their catalogue of unregistered designs (patterns #522 and #529) with a similar shape and finial to your piece (though they are not shown with an underplate). I have not seen a similar piece in this pattern before.

Page 108 of the Stewart's book - "Davidson Glass ; A History" has an illustrated advert with the  Davidson 'Daisy' suite from a Supplement to the Pottery Gazette dated 1 December 1886. The list of pieces in the suite does not include a honey/marmalade or biscuit barrel, but I have come across several other shape decorated with 'daisy' pattern that don't appear in the list either.

I have to go out shortly, but I will post pictures of the #522 and #529 honey/marmalades later today, and I will contact the seller of the RD 340825 biscuit barrel seeking their permission to show some of their photos on this site as permanent references in due course.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 09:23:08 AM »
don't know if the figure of 6.5" is the total overall height including lid -  if that is the case then as Fred suggests it could well be a largish marmalade or jam container and the under plate might then make sense  -  otherwise for small biscuits, perhaps ;)
If in due course people feel it might be of use to have the Kew image for Rd. 340825 added to this thread, then can arrange this when next I visit TNA.

Just as a matter of interest, do we know for certain the original shape on which the Davidson Registration was based for their 'Daisy' suite?

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 09:45:06 AM »
Paul, I don't think that the design for the 'Daisy' suite was registered.

Pictures of Davidson honey/marmalades #522 and 529 (both from Davidson's catalogues of unregistered designs 1880-1890).

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 09:53:53 AM »
aghhh  -  showing my ignorance  -  thanks for pointing that out Fred.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 10:18:21 AM »
You would need something to put your toast or biscuits on, strange another person thought the same as i did with the plate.

Here are a couple of biscuit barrels as an example of size, the blue one is pottery.

The total height includes the lid which looks like the one in Freds pictures style wise.

I was thinking about the way it was made last night, do you think its possible they invented a plunger that expanded to fit the mould when pressed then retracted when the pressure was off to shrink to come out of the opening, there are no indents on the inner surface you get with blown glass?.

There is a half inch difference between the rim and the widest point on the waist.
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand