No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Faceted vase.  (Read 2178 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Faceted vase.
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 11:10:37 AM »
another possible origin is Czechoslovakia   ........  the overall design has a funky look -  during the 50s and 60s they did produce some heavily cut and unusual patterns/designs. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 11:39:20 AM »

I presume it's very heavy hence the wear to base?
I'm also musing about how efficient it would have been as a vase ?  Might it have been a serviette (? random thought) holder or something else?

Yes it is heavy, I think, 2,2 kg or just under 5 pounds. I've added an image of the opening/rim of the vase, it measures just over two inches or 5 cm at the most. I don't think it would have been practical for serviettes or napkins considering the space, but then, as you mentioned, I don't think it would have been practical for flowers either. Perhaps just a decorative object.

I had not given Czechoslovakia a thought, I have to admit.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 11:00:47 PM »
Perhaps a bit of a naïve thought, but I spotted this vase and thought the facets and design were sort of similar even though the shape's different ... perhaps I'm being too optimistic, but maybe it reminds somebody of something, so my vase in question could eventually be identified via a detour  ;D ... but then, I'm positive by nature and that can work against me sometimes.

Unidentified vase ... any thoughts? TIA   http://www.ebay.fr/itm/292043989960?rmvSB=true

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 08:31:31 AM »
goldfish bowl shapes remind me of some of the Czech. Borske Sklo pieces  -  they produced examples with both cut and moulded decoration - the most common ones seen in the U.K. are from the 'Nemo' range........   regret no idea Anne as to attribution for this ebay piece.
Maybe other producers also made goldfish bowl shapes - I can't think off-hand who  -  it's just the Czech. ones that I remember and I think they were mostly coloured rather than clear.
I think makers who don't add a backstamp should be fined..............   heavily ;D

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 08:38:57 AM »
I think you're spot on Paul, I mailed the seller yesterday, to ask if it wasn't signed and he replied this morning, just now,  saying he never spotted the signature, but it's acid marked Tchécoslovaquie in two parts, as in broken up, on two lines, if you know what I mean.

My vase isn't signed (anymore) but perhaps it's a long shot to compare cut designs/patterns.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 09:36:42 AM »
Anne the foot of yours is very curious.  It's almost like a 'stand' rather than a foot because of the curved top to it.

And with the stylised body shape as well?

I wonder if it's American ... but who?

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 07:44:57 PM »
Yes, I agree, it is unusual. I don't even know what to search for, shape wise. Besides the VSL vase I haven't come across anything to compare it with.

I'm not familiar with the American manufacturers or styles and designs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand