No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Id for double cake stand please - ID = Sowerby - pattern 2266½ aka Chunky  (Read 905 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
my thanks to both of you for being so helpful  - and I have spent no little time today looking to id the pattern shown in the attached pics., but without success.   I did originally think it was Davidson, but now I'm not so sure.   Pale green was obviously a popular colour, and manufacturers were also keen on this kind of blue.  I do in fact also have a blue bowl, with the same sort of 'hobnail' pattern, in this deep electric blue, so the pattern is probably fairly common as well.    Can either of you confirm the maker please.   Good to hear of the support for boot sales - unfortunately, all but one of my regular venues have now closed for the winter, so this is where I get withdrawl symptoms and suffer from a short fuse - until next April  >:(     Paul S.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Sowerby English Hobnail and Button aka Chunky

Offline Paul S.

• Members
thanks for the very quick reply  -  yes, they are certainly chunky  -   any idea of a date range please.    Paul S.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Dang, Christine beat me to it as we were out quiz-teaming tonight!  ;D 

Yes, Sowerby - pattern 2266½ (why the half - dunno!) - the names Christine gave are those normally used by Carnival collectors I think. Adam Dodds said that Sowerby used the pattern numbers. It's shown in the 1940s & 1956 catalogues* with a chrome T-handle rather than your looped one; plate sizes given as a 7½" and an 8½" one; came in 6 colours: flint, amber, blue, green, pink, and sunglow (i.e. marigold Carnival).

The catalogues say that the glass could be supplied both with metalware and without, so it's entirely possible to see the cakestands with different handles. 

* The catalogue images are those from the CD book: Sowerby's Ellison Glass Works, Volume Two, by Glen and Stephen Thistlewood. (Well-worth buying these Sowerby CDs as they are full of catalogue copies, pottery gazette items, and Adam Dodds' reminiscences of his time as a glass technologist at the 3 great north-eastern glassmakers of Sowerby, and Davidson, and Jobling. For anyone collecting English pressed glass they are invaluable.)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Comes in bowls too with and without stands. Very long production period

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Nice metal. The metalware is often what makes such sets more desirable. The nudes always sell well.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
thanks Hil  -  and yes, I wouldn't mind having that one, quite desireable!   Can't see too well from the pic. but am assuming the metalwork is in fact a stylized Dolphin, the origins of which I had thought were C14 - 15th Venetian only, but shows how wrong you can be.   Apparently, the Celts and some of the Iron Age buffs were also keen on this animal.   Maybe it had some relevance to fertility or whatever  - perhaps Christine (Ur. Twrs.) can tell us more about the Dolphin mythology side of things.   Of course if the figure is not a Dolphin, then I'm barking up the proverbial ;D   I sense these things are all very 'retro' and collectable now  -  just goes to show if you wait long enough everything comes back into fashion.    Paul S.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand