No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 1958 World fair expo vase  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Germanshepherd72

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Art Glass
    • USA
Re: 1958 World fair expo vase
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 06:49:55 PM »
Thanks Michael. What steered me in that direction was an identically shaped Kralik vase with similar color pattern I finally found and the fact that Czech was part of the Soviet Block from 1948 until 1990.
I hate to assume, but my thoughts were maybe the Soviets "borrowed" some molds and Czech talent/ideas. I understand that competition was fierce and that the Czechs did win many awards.
Regardless, I'm not one to give up. It may be a glass mystery. I'm reaching out to a particular expert in my area to see if she might be able to help as well.
I appreciate all of the help and research Anne. After 12 hours it might be a case of making the square peg try to fit in the round hole. I'll update the thread if I make any progress. Thanks again.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 01:48:52 PM »
No problem, I'm sorry I can't be of any help as I'm not that familiar with glass from eastern Europe, but I'm working on it. Got myself some books from the Passauer glasmuseum, if anybody has any suggestions about other books, no matter what language, then please MP me, to avoid cluttering this thread.

The catalogues are actually just guides with listings of countries and companies representing local trades at the Expo. I found some souvenir albums, a catalogue and some brochures at a flea market, but it's all in French.

Your vase must have been somewhere in this hall.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 02:45:18 PM »
Anne I think you will need to open your mailing option so anyone can contact you with book information.

m

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 03:24:41 PM »
Hey that's strange, I've received messages before and haven't changed any of the settings. Anyway, I have now, thanks for pointing it out.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 05:26:43 PM »
Here is another chunky small  4 1/2 inch vase with the same logo on.

Regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 09:49:44 PM »
Hi, I believe that this symbol, as stated in the thread, is the production symbol for the USSR 1958 glass designs that they provided for the Brussels World Expo. Scandinavian and Czech companies provided similar (but different) distinctive symbols for their wares, Russian glass is not well researched at all really but they did have some facilities at this time for art glass production, though on a much smaller scale than in Czechoslovakia. This is probably why they held the big Moscow 1960 exhibition of Czech glass, to try to develop their own production which did not really take off. There are a couple of books on Russian glass but I do not have them. Also, as it is federation in the name, it may not even be modern Russia, as we know it, though I am pretty certain these two are not Czech and are from the "federation", Czech glass production always was Czechoslovakian at this time, not federation glass or Russian.

Robert (bOBA)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 10:54:43 PM »
I have searched hundreds literally hundreds of Russian glass items in the Gus khrustalny exhibition and the Imperial Glass Manufactory as well as the online stuff at the Hermitage and two or three other museums in Russia. I have one book on Russian glass and one on Ukrainian glass from an old exhibition.

I've not seen anything like this that I can find in those exhibitions but I am sure it's Russian.
I think it might be Dyatkovo - but the only one I could find with any vague similarity (and that's barely there similarity perhaps just the rim and the fact it's stripey) and it's not as good as yours.

https://www.livemaster.ru/item/14481823-vintazh-vaza-steklo-dyatkovo-sssr-60e-vintazh

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 11:31:07 PM »
Robert do you know what Poland would have exhibited under please?

Here is another with that label and an additional label.  Not sure about the quality on this and the photo is very bad
https://www.shellysselectsalvage.com/listing/228967468/bright-pink-glass-mini-gilded-vase

m

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 11:59:26 PM »
Hi, I believe that this symbol, as stated in the thread, is the production symbol for the USSR 1958 glass designs that they provided for the Brussels World Expo.

Robert (bOBA)

Not that it makes any difference, or maybe it will ... but the logo wasn't just to be found on glass. The example I've showed comes from a matchbox  :D

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 09:22:59 PM »
Would everyone at the exhibition use the same logo like a football world cup event. I'm guessing they are all souvenirs.
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand