No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: C.1968 Early Mdina Trial/ Experimental Vase  (Read 3468 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: C.1968 Early Mdina Trial/ Experimental Vase
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 05:42:09 PM »
Elizabeth does not rate the early glass made by her husband at all. I had a very strange conversation with her as she showed me a lovely piece and complained; "Just look at all that frit, it's dreadful!" She didn't keep much of it. She was busy in the home and raising the children and paid little attention to Michael's work. That is what she told me.  :)
I've got an early tricorn charger too, which I originally bought as a suspected trial seaward from IoWSG, but Marlene Bristow told me it was Mdina. She remembered it - her memory is very reliable.  ;)
I'd be interested in seeing yours!
This is mine.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Mdina and Isle of Wight Glass
    • Kent
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 06:23:06 PM »
Oh I know, I recall her saying to Timothy one time that his glass was much better than his Dads. Some people dont like the imperfections and honesty of early pieces and maltese glass as a whole from that period. To me they are a unique and adds another layer of beauty to them, his work to me at least is the best glass in the world.

What a fantastic piece, can't say i've seen anything like it before! Here's a few photos of the trial tricorn bowl, i couldn't seem to emphasise the size of it so there is a photo of it next to a 1974 Onion vase for scale :)

http://imgur.com/a/Yo2yk

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 07:08:44 PM »
She was surprised at my love of the imperfections too.
It looks like you and I share some of our strong opinions about the talents of Michael Harris. ;D
I cannot be doing with pretty-pretty perfection - give me strong, abstract, wild beauty any day. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Kent
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 07:37:59 PM »
The imperfections are what make them so unique, many of the characteristics of pieces were 'happy accidents' and I love that. It would seem so, he is the best, no question  ;D

Whilst I appreciate a 'perfect' piece it's got a more manufactured feel to it rather than a 'whatever happens' kind of attitude that makes his pieces essentially priceless!

I did post a link to the photos of the tricorn, not sure if its working?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 08:08:16 PM »
I'm a bit unsure about clicking on external links, I'm afraid, and I don't know anything about the host you're using.
(All I do know is photobucket crashes everything.)
I'm ancient, so is my pc. Nothing is up to date, everything is "previously loved" and held together with sellotape and string.
Including me. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Kent
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 10:59:43 PM »
Im using Imgur, I believe it's the main image hosting site powered by Google so quite safe!

If you're still unsure I would upload individual photos or e-mail you, but they are all too big to upload as my camera is high pixel so high quality and therefore large data sizes! Im not sure how to reduce them if im honest, but perfectly safe I assure you :)

Let me know if you would like me to email you rather than click the link :)

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 11:16:31 AM »
I'm a bit unsure about clicking on external links, I'm afraid, and I don't know anything about the host you're using.

Hi Sue,

Here is one of the images......... I am sure Vitreo94 will be happy with this screen grab I have done ?

Cheers,,
              Patrick.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 11:20:47 AM »
I did brave it, after your assurance.  ;D
It's very clear and quite greenish, or is that the (background?) It is a really, really big'un!
 8) :o 8)

However, we really do like images posted directly to the board, if you could.
It keeps all the threads illustrated for future reference.
Images hosted elsewhere have a habit of vanishing at a later date.

There are loads of techie tips here for resizing images, and choices of programs to use.  :)

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34093.0.html

Oooh, thank-you Patrick - we were cross-posting!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Kent
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 02:27:04 PM »
Thanks Patrick, i shall have to look into how to go about doing that!

It is very greenish Sue, it's a fair weight too, almost makes me wonder how he ever manged to work with it when it was molten!

Duly noted, I shall have a tinker with some images to see if i can get them down to size.

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Kent
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 02:39:00 PM »
It seems I've come up with a way of doing it, a little faffing but works all the same :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand