No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Request: Amber bubble vase  (Read 928 times)

Offline mandrill

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Germany
ID Request: Amber bubble vase
« on: April 11, 2017, 03:25:40 PM »
Hi,
normaly I walk straight past glass objects in charity shops/thrift stores/flea markets because I like to find out what I buy and was always intimidated by glass and stayed with mcm pottery and its easily deciphered base marks.
But this vase looked intriguing and unique enough to give it a try. Turns out it is as hard as I thought and I found no match. The closest I came was a slight similarity to the Holmegaard Primula series but my find is way darker and probably was never meant to be closed.

Details:
Rim diameter: ca. 8,5 cm
Height: ca. 18 cm
Base diameter: ca. 8 cm

I don't have a scale but it feels comparatively light. No one is going to mistake it for lead glass.
As for the other required information I couldn't even begin to tell you about it. I guess it's blown in one piece since I can't find any seams but polished pontil or not is way past my current expertise level.

I found it in a thrift shop in north germany close to the former border with east germany. My gut says it is from the late sixties/seventies made somewhere in germany or scandinavia.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mandrill

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Germany
Re: ID Request: Amber bubble vase
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 08:06:59 PM »
I did some more research on my own and came up with some leads but still no definite answer.

First of all I learned that scandinavian style hooped vase would have been a better descriptor for the thread title.

I first looked at scandinavian manufacturers but did not get any results. Most examples I found had a more substantial base (sometimes coloured, sometimes clear glass) and broader rim than my vase. I also couldn't find any related models that used a similar shape, colour or glass type as you would expect from a whole line of products.

That led me to search for german manufacturers inspired by the style. The closest I got was Ingrid Glass/Ingrid Glashütte etc. If you search for some combination of "ingrid amber hoop vase" you find a lot of pieces with similarities. Thin rim, slight base and lots of irregular air bubbles in the glass. The only difference is that my piece is a bit darker. I also remember some Ingrid Glas pieces in the same thrift shop.
Friedrich and Hirschberg glass are also a possibility, but everything I found from them looked closer to the scandinavian examples, sturdy bases, white cased etc.

The belgian company Doyen did some similar styles back in Art Deco times but still no exact match. Most of their pieces had a wavy rim and a bulging middle section anyway.

A modern reproduction in a retro style is also a possibility. I found some Ikea vases in a similar style but they were in primary colours and not as translucent.

I'd be happy for someone to double check my research or give me some more search terms I could feed into google.
Otherwise I think I got as far as I can as a total beginner.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: ID Request: Amber bubble vase
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 11:50:23 PM »
Hi and welcome to the board. I'm sorry that no-one has been able to help you so far, but I am sure it will be in our memories and if we see one labelled or in a catalogue we will respond. In the meanwhile thank you for being patient. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand