No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help to id four leave clover weight  (Read 1845 times)

Offline millarart

• Members
help to id four leave clover weight
« on: May 13, 2017, 02:24:58 PM »
anyone know who made this four leave clover weight , the clovers made from green aventurine , thought id got a pic of base but some how it hasn't worked and I don't have the weight with me . pontil looks similar to ysart , I found another one that sold back in 2007 in usa for $250 at auction il try and put link to it on here too

http://www.icollector.com/Vintage-4-Leaf-Clover-Paperweight_i6691166
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: help to id four leave clover weight
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 09:54:40 PM »
This weight was very probably / most likely / almost definitely made by Paul Ysart.

However, if he had been shown this weight for identification, he would quite likely have ignored it as he did with another example he was shown many years ago. Ignoring items was his way of saying he did not make it.

I produced a 2-part article in 2003 for the Paperweight Collectors Circle covering weights just like this one as well as some with definite clues to a Paul Ysart origin, including examples with a garland of "Ysart canes" which could be matched to other Paul Ysart weights, There was also one with a Monart Glass label (assumes the label did not originate on another weight). and some of the Paul Ysart weights with matched canes had a Monart Glass label.

The one in the Selman auction from 2007 shows "swirling lines" which I guess are just reflections of the lighting. Also, it may be the lighting of the photo that shows a pale mottled ground. All the others I have seen with that type of ground have been the same as the one in this thread -  a mottled "peachy" colour with "pale blue-grey" - depending on the angle of the light.

The bases of weights like the one here may be smooth ground to the centre, "cracked off" pontil scar or acid etched "Tomey Birmingham" (in upper case).
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 12:49:31 AM »
thanks Kev for your reply and info regarding the weight , ive been offered the weight but its not really the most exciting or interesting weight but at same time it would be another one to the collection , you mentioned the one from the link having swirling lines which was something I noticed on pictures I took  of the one ive been offered too , ive enclosed a picture I took of the weight alongside a PP crown

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 06:27:15 PM »
Fascinating. Perhaps the "swirly lines" in those images are internal striations highlighted by the angle of the photography?

Please note that I have made a correction to my earlier post - for a point of detaill about "some with Monart labels". It does not affect my general comments but I really should have read my own article before I posted here!!
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 05:41:28 AM »
the swirly liners if I remember did not appear to be there to the naked eye when I was inspecting the weight they only appeared in the photographs , oh well I might still purchase the weight if its very cheap

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand