No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Okra iridescent glass vase I.D help  (Read 1272 times)

Offline simbaduke1

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass
    • West Yorkshire
Okra iridescent glass vase I.D help
« on: May 13, 2017, 04:06:05 PM »
Hi experts.

Tall okra iridescent 7.5" glass vase Any ideas on this pattern and maker.
sticker to base and dark blue inner, curved middle in shape, all link and info welcome

Kind regards.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Okra iridescent glass vase I.D help
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 04:23:59 PM »
Hello, no expert but I think these were made after Richard Golding sold the company to Wedgwood ( I think it was them ) prior to this and after pieces were usually signed sometimes with the artist's initials some times an etched mark, can't help with dates though. Been meaning to email Mr Golding as I have a few questions about Okra myself  ::) ;D ;D couple of pic's included....

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline filigree

• Members
  • ex Okra Glass employee
    • Okra Glass
    • Stourbridge, West Midlands
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 05:36:00 PM »
Hi, I haven't been on here for some time so I've only just seen this. Looking at the first picture 2198, I'd say the vase was made in the late 1990's, I work over many years for Richard G and Okra doing all the cold working, cutting, polishing, stoppering, sand blasting, flatting etc. I can see that that one isn't one that I worked on because the quality of the finished punty is not my standard. The 1990's was a prety tough time for the studio, it was not sold to Wedgewood, it was sold to Moorecroft 'the pottery company' who couldn't make it pay so they ended up selling ot back to Richard.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 08:16:02 PM »
Sorry. been meaning to come back and correct this, why I get Wedgwood and Moorcroft mixed up I have no idea  ::) ;D Are you able to date Okra pieces by the labels used ?

Offline filigree

• Members
  • ex Okra Glass employee
    • Okra Glass
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 11:44:06 AM »
It looks like one from the Enterprize trading estate era in the 1990's, it was an era that started out with such great expectations, however, I often think of it as being the best of times and the worst. For all the wonderful things that did happen during that period, there were an equal number of bad things. Richard did not have full control over things during that time because his business partner of that period did not come from a glassmaking background, many things happened that still sadden me today. Unfortunately, there are a lot of pieces out there in the world now that were either not signed properly or even signed at all. The one in the picture is definitely from the period because of the Okra logo; maybe 1998, that particular logo was done with a sand blasting logo machine specifically designed for that purpose, but there should have been more info scribed on it.  There may be some pieces out there that came from employees who were graciously given them by Richard 'not to sell but for keepsakes', the ones I was given will stay with me till I leave this mortal coil and then I'll leave them to the museum. I shall I shall always be proud of being a part of Okra Glass. I worked for Richard and Okra in the 1980's and 1990's and when Dean and Karry bought Richards share of Okra they eventually split with Dean trying to keep it going, I always believed that Okra wouldn't last without Richard.

Dave

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 12:10:06 PM »
Thanks Dave, I have a number of pieces that seem to span many years, some marked, some signed and dated and some not, the most recent was this, the dealer believed it was early, do you agree ?

Offline filigree

• Members
  • ex Okra Glass employee
    • Okra Glass
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 03:20:14 PM »
Sorry Keith, I don't recognise it, it doesn't fit his style, he may have done some clear, plain, uniridised stuff for customers occasionally. There would have been the odd test piece to check and see what the quality of the glass was like ie, cords, blisters etc, Richard's always had a creative spirit, I'd say that's one only Richard can answer, you'll need to contact him at Station Glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand