No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can somebody identify this Vase  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Cupcake Jones

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Can somebody identify this Vase
« on: July 13, 2017, 01:52:37 AM »
Hi There.  I found this vase at a thrift store thinking it might be something, but I don't know what it is. 
I can't even find anything that remotely resembles this vase on line.  It is super heavy and reminds me of a Lalique but I know it isn't
Does anybody have a clue?   Thanks.  p.s. sorry about the sideways photo.  sheesh.  Mod: image rotated for you

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chilternhills

• Members
    • Isle of Wight glass
    • UK
    • Isle of Wight Studio Glass Enthusiasts Site
Re: Can somebody identify this Vase
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 04:28:27 PM »
Hi, This vase is art deco in style. Similar motifs can be found in pieces of that era. To try to move things forward, are there any marks on the base? In moulded pieces like this marks can be very hard to spot. Try looking at the base at various angles.
Visit my Isle of Wight Studio Glass enthusiasts' site at https://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com and also Isle of Wight Museum of Glass at http://www.isleofwightglassmuseum.org.uk/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Cupcake Jones

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 12:02:23 AM »
Hi, This vase is art deco in style. Similar motifs can be found in pieces of that era. To try to move things forward, are there any marks on the base? In moulded pieces like this marks can be very hard to spot. Try looking at the base at various angles.

Hi @chilternhills.  Thank you for your kindly response.   I see no marks on the base at various angles in a bright light using a magnifying glass.
Maybe it is just a nothing vase.  But it seems awfully heavy and rich to be just a nothing little thing.  Hmmmmm

Offline chilternhills

• Members
    • Isle of Wight glass
    • UK
    • Isle of Wight Studio Glass Enthusiasts Site
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 10:25:15 AM »
I agree. It's worth pursuing this further. The answer will be found eventually. I have been searching around for you.

Anton
Visit my Isle of Wight Studio Glass enthusiasts' site at https://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com and also Isle of Wight Museum of Glass at http://www.isleofwightglassmuseum.org.uk/

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 11:43:49 AM »
probably a pointless comment, but the 3D carved sort of effect of the surface decoration made me think of something akin to a Macintosh (Glasgow School of Art) rose design  -  and I did spend time looking at CRM 'roses', but nothing like this in glass turned up  -  so probably unrelated to CRM.

Offline Cupcake Jones

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 09:19:48 PM »
probably a pointless comment, but the 3D carved sort of effect of the surface decoration made me think of something akin to a Macintosh (Glasgow School of Art) rose design  -  and I did spend time looking at CRM 'roses', but nothing like this in glass turned up  -  so probably unrelated to CRM.

Thank you for taking the time to research,  Paul.  As far as I am concerned, all comments are welcome. 
The flower on it isn't rose.  It is a real simple daisy looking thing. 
This could all very well remain a big mystery.

Offline Cupcake Jones

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 09:20:50 PM »
I agree. It's worth pursuing this further. The answer will be found eventually. I have been searching around for you.

Anton

Thank you, Anton

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand