No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Need help identifying this vase - please see pics  (Read 817 times)

Offline monicabaker

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Need help identifying this vase - please see pics
« on: July 23, 2017, 07:49:44 PM »
I need help identifying this vase. Attached pics include the vase, an etching along the top rim, and an etching along the bottom.  It is 6 1/2" tall and 5 1/2" across the top.  The top etching includes the number 107.  Thanks and have a great day.  Monica

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Need help identifying this vase - please see pics
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 01:06:51 PM »
hi Monica  - welcome to the GMB :)                A most unusual shape - how does it stay upright? ;D
The signature looks to have been created by the use of possibly something like a Dremel, using a stylus point, or perhaps just a stylus without the Dremel  -  but not what I'd think of as etching, which is a wet acid process.          Signatures are very often created using a steel stylus point.
Nice pictures by the way - of someone's lawn and fence post - unfortunately, these are a distraction and combined with light reflections are making it difficult to see the wording, so not possible, for me, to see these clearly enough to comment.
If you are able to re-take your pix of the signature - with a plain darkish background and with light falling onto the signature then this might help - it might also help to rub either some carbon paper black, or talc powder, into the words.

Your piece doesn't make me think Scandinavian, so perhaps either the States or possibly European, but famous last words as they say  -  if the seven doesn't have a cross bar then probably not Continental.
Glass travels  -  more so than you'd ever imagine  -  so could be from almost anywhere.        From where did you acquire this piece? :)

Sorry, not a particularly great day here - lots of rain, dark clouds, I'm older than I'd like to be, and could do with more money  -  but apart from these minor niggling details, then passable I suppose. ;) ;)              Look forward to seeing some more pix.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline monicabaker

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 03:02:01 PM »
Thanks so much for your reply and interest.  I will add some new pictures later today.  My daughter helped me join this message board and post the pictures.  I will use your advice and try for better photos. (I do have a photographer in the family(a sister) but she's not available until tomorrow).

I purchased the vase at a Salvation Army. (You would be surprised at the treasures I find)  It does stand solidly-weighing just over 2 1/2 lbs.  I have scoured the internet searching for the mark and for a similar shape with no success.  There are 2 marks in separate areas.  1 does look like it's been engraved.  The other mark reminds me of the style of the old Waterford marks-I think it's called acid etched.

My daughter will help me again when she gets off of work-I'm a lucky lady!!  Thanks again!!  Monica

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 07:01:53 PM »
I'm wondering if this is being viewed upside down. It may have been a stand for a large punch bowl of fruit bowl of some sort, maybe even a candelabra of some sort,.

Offline monicabaker

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 07:57:11 PM »
Hello and thanks for your interest and reply!!  I will be posting some more pictures later today of the 2 marks.  You may be right about the piece being the base of something.  There's a thin layer of, what looks like glue, on the small end.  I assumed there was a felt piece on the bottom of the vase.  The marks (signatures) are on the edge of the large rim and on the side below the large rim.  If this piece is the base of "something", then that would make the markings on the bottom.  I think I will go back to the Salvation Army where I purchased it and look around.

Please view the pictures I will post later today.  (I thought it was a "bouquet" vase because that's what it appears to be perfect for. :)  Thanks again.  Monica

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 09:07:23 PM »
I could be completely wrong, but something stirring in the old grey matter suggests to me that bouquet vases were peculiar to the States  -  might that be correct does anyone know?

Offline monicabaker

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 11:16:28 PM »
I tried the talcum powder and carbon paper- each worked best for the different style of etching. I hope this can help someone identify the markings. Thanks! Monica

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand