No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 'Eyeball Lamp' - Anyone seen this before or know who made it?  (Read 1306 times)

Offline sgqmod

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • murano glass
    • london
'Eyeball Lamp' - Anyone seen this before or know who made it?
« on: October 21, 2017, 02:17:10 PM »
Hello, I have this and cant find any examples online like it. It is very beautiful and has a small hole in the side maybe for a wire? Does anyone know its origin/designer/age? Probs murano?

Thanks,

Stan

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: 'Eyeball Lamp' - Anyone seen this before or know who made it?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 03:47:36 PM »
Hello and welcome.  :)
Have you searched all over for any sort of mark? It has an appearance much like some of the designs from the German company, Peill and Putzler. Their mark is two capital letter Ps, back to back, sharing the same upright. It can be hard to find, it's small.
However, lighting is often not marked.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline sgqmod

• Members
    • murano glass
    • london
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 04:35:37 PM »
Here is the top

Offline sgqmod

• Members
    • murano glass
    • london
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 04:41:51 PM »
Hi, yes I came across Peill and Putzler when researching. They definitely make similar objects but can't find an exact match. I will go over the glass again and look for any marks now.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 05:57:55 PM »
Maybe Czech?  It reminds me of an opalescent piece I have that has black applied 'rondels' like that.  They look to be the same in terms of size for the piece and height of the black rondels. So they kind of look as though they might belong together as a range if you see what I mean.

I have another that has applied rondels with some kind of metal in them, also Czech.

The black applied rim on the foot wouldn't usually remind me of Czech glass but the applied top and the white splatter effect does ... the white effect also reminds me of French glass btw.

Oh and ... it's gorgeous - I would find a way of making it back into a lamp if that's what it was.

m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 06:02:43 PM »
 :-[
My age and the wrong pair of spectacles strike again, I hadn't noticed the white was spattered - that is considerably less P&P ish than pure white would be.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 06:05:18 PM »
I didn't notice at first either  :)  I thought it looked a bit 'lacy' though so looked more closely.

I'll try and find a pic of my bowl to show.  It's not white spatter though but does have the applied rondels.

edited - Gosh - my memory is shot - mine has grey rondels but.. does have an applied grey foot as well.

I'll find the ones with the black rondels.  I'm sure I have seen pieces listed as 'Koloman Moser' (but no evidence they are).

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 06:11:34 PM »
https://www.mearto.com/lots/koloman-moser-1868-1918-loetz-vase-cylindrique-a-ressaut-1903-en-verre-blanc-laiteux-legerement-opalescent-base-circulaire-en-verre-noir-medaillons-en-verre-noir-faconnes-rapportes-a-chaud-haut-19-cm-diam-20-5-cm

I never found any evidence this was by Koloman Moser, but couldn't check that book.
The reason I though maybe not was because one was selling on ebay for quite a bit less than that and I'd have thought if it was then someone would have wanted it.
Mine is an opalescent bowl and has the same foot and applied rondels but in grey.

I didn't find any evidence to link my bowl or the linked vase to my other vase which is by ... mmm, Oldrich Lipa ?

Oldrich Lipa vase here for comparison:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,55246.msg313073.html#msg313073

m

Offline sgqmod

• Members
    • murano glass
    • london
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 06:22:19 PM »
Hi Everyone, thanks for all the comments so far. Czech would be a very interesting route to go down as I have gone down the Italian and German one myself. Although I am very new to this and might have missed something. To my untrained eye the closest thing I have found is by Peill and Putzler or Nason Mazzega, the glass effect seems to be pretty close.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 06:56:08 PM »
Have you been using the word "eyeball" in searches?
A more productive expression might be Mushroom lamp. But you'll have to weed out all the cut crystal ones. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand