No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed glass photo frame queen vic golden jubilee who made it and reg number  (Read 1882 times)

Offline fatbelly

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Nice things
    • Uk
Hello.
Purchased this literally to find out more about it.I have searched for this specific piece but have come up with a dead end.I presumed it would be Sowerby or Davidson’s being up north but I cannot find it.
Unmarked and no registration number.Clear pressed glass.
Measures 6”inc hanger h x 3.5” w.
Royal jubilee and the dates 1837 for vices corronation ans 1887 for her golden jubilee.
Does anyone have any thoughts to maker and possible reg number.
Thanks in advance.
FB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
I don't recall seeing this item in any of the books devoted to pressed glass  -  though that's not conclusive of course.           The apparent absence of a Reg. No. is an indication that the design wasn't registered - although have to say that my searches, usually, don't progress much beyond early 1884 when the diamond lozenge came to an end, and this item is unlikely to have been marketed before 1887.                There were many items made wholly or partly of glass that weren't Registered, and this may be one of them.   
If Fred looks in he may have more information, possibly.          Unusual, and a good find  -  I like the strawberry prunt type decoration, but regret no idea as to maker.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline fatbelly

• Members
    • Nice things
    • Uk
Hi Paul.
Thanks for the input it’s appreciated.I know you check the archives at Kew so was hoping you might have an opinion or at least may have seen the piece before.
I only purchased it because in 20 years I have not come across this piece either documented or for sale so thought I would buy it to research it.It came with two other commemorative pieces which I may add tomorrow.
Hopefully Fred might have seen it before.Even if the subject matter isn’t quite to taste the glass certainly is I think it’s beautiful and it’s survived intact which is a bonus.
Regards
FB

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Is the print / photograph fully enclosed in glass back and front? If so, there may be a Patent for that particular process for inclusion of an image.
KevinH

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
You might find it useful to look at Davidson, as the flat top to the 8 is a feature of their commemorative glass. I have a Davidson Victoria jubilee butter dish with the same flat top beaded-look lettering on it (pic attached - you might be just about able to see the flat top 8 below the finial), and it is also seen on their commemorative glass plates from 1887 and 1888. 

Chris Stewart refers to the flat top 8 on page 101 of his book, Davidson Glass a history. There is a reproduction of the advert for the jubilee commemoratives, which lists the range made, but it doesn't include a picture frame, although at the back on page 171 there is a page titled The Ones That Got Away, and one of the items listed there is a picture frame (with no other details).  I'll drop Chris a note and ask him to pop into the board if he can and take a look at your frame.  Hope this helps a little.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
My gut feel is Davidson. They certainly attached photos to their glass that remain intact after over 100 years
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1331

Offline fatbelly

• Members
    • Nice things
    • Uk
Hello.
Kev the image is affixed from the back onto the convex image surface with no apparent backing.
It looks to be photographic in nature but can not confirm.
I really cannot find the piece anywhere in my reference but it’s not a complete resource.
But I will keep looking and many thanks for your assistance.
FB

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
My gut feeling would be Davidson too, but I've never a similar item before.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
There's a double page spread in Ray. Notley's 'Popular Glass of the 19th & 20th Centuries' - pp. 48 - 49, covering commemorative & souvenir wares, and none of the pieces he shows are indicated as having been Registered, so seems manufacturers weren't too bothered about protecting the designs of these things.                Perhaps it wasn't thought of as 'seemly' to Register something depicting the Monarch. :)
A couple of the items shown incorporate photographs - one is a milk-glass plate/frame with what Notely says is a 'fused' photograph of Ed. VII  - either dark-room printed or an invisibly-glued, specially glazed print  -  looks to be a sepia tinted or b. & w. photograph.         Maker unknown apparently, but presumably someone thought enough of the process such that it was patented on 20.08.1901 - marked on the glass to this effect  -  this confirms Kevin's thoughts about patent protection of this process.

Quoting Raymond Notley, he writes  ...............   "Davidson at Gateshead developed a steady business in photographic souvenir ware, which was typified by the photographically-derived, reverse-transfer print.       Affixed to the back of the glass the print was translucent yet reasonably waterproof.              Blue Opaline was the favoured colour, and the same 'frame' can be found depicting various resorts, as well as pictures of Queen Victoria ...................  etc. "                  Notley gives a date range for these plates of c. 1895 - 1910  -  a little beyond the Golden Jubilee date on the op's item.
Despite the implication of Notely's comment that "Davidson - steady business etc. etc."  -  these Davidson Pearline items with photos seem somewhat uncommon.        Although I don't now own any Pearline, I seem to recall that both the yellow and blue forms were all marked with a Registration No.  -  does that sound correct?

small pw. are known quite commonly with paper photos of seaside resorts and similar pix, from c. 1880 onwards.   

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Hello.
Kev the image is affixed from the back onto the convex image surface with no apparent backing.
It looks to be photographic in nature but can not confirm.
I really cannot find the piece anywhere in my reference but it’s not a complete resource.
But I will keep looking and many thanks for your assistance.
FB

Did you miss my earlier reply? http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,65877.msg368476.html#msg368476
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand