No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a Whitefriars Vase?  (Read 1888 times)

Offline born slippy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • uk
Is this a Whitefriars Vase?
« on: January 29, 2018, 10:29:52 PM »
I bought this vase as Whitefriars but have since been told that this shape has been faked and mine could be one. Would you be able to advise if mine is genuine or not?

Offline user9318

• Members
Re: Is this a Whitefriars Vase?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 07:13:42 AM »
I have seen this shape vase before on ebay around 4 - 5 years ago, IIRC the ebay seller stated in the listing that Whitefriars had sold the mould for that vase and whoever purchased it has / is making vases from the mould, but they are not in the colours that Whitefriars used. They may still be selling them on ebay.

Basically they were made from a Whitefriars mould, but not by Whitefriars. The colours I remember seeing back then was a dark blue, green and red, possibly a deep purple also.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 09:54:44 AM »
can't help as to whether the mould used for this one was exactly the same as Baxter's design and actually used by W/Fs., but as to colours ...............
The original three were apparently - cinnamon, willow and indigo  -  and the slightly later colours were - kingfisher blue, tangerine and aubergine  ................. none of them appears to match the colour of this one.               Not easy to see from the op's picture, but the genuine hooped vases were clear cased, and this should be very obvious on the foot.

Offline Marc1976

• Members
    • Whitefriars, IoW and Scandi.
    • England
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 05:29:50 PM »
From what I can see from the op pics it doesn't look right to me. The base looks like the pontil is moulded not polished and the colour is washy.

I don't know where the story about the original mould being used came from but that is incorrect. The mould may have been sold but not used for these copies.

The colours were willow, cinnamon, indigo, pewter, tangerine, kingfisher, meadow green and aubergine

Offline born slippy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • uk
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 06:33:19 PM »
Thank you all for the most helpful replies.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 05:37:29 PM »
 :) You may not know about Emmi's blogs on Whitefriars. A very useful resource indeed, written by somebody who really knows her stuff.
Examples of fakes, mistaken ids., etc. Links to other blog articles are in it.

http://whitefriarsglasswannabees.blogspot.co.uk/
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 08:58:05 PM »
Emmi's blog doesn't appear to have been updated in recent times, and haven't seen any recent contributions on the Board  -  does she post anywhere currently anyone know?  -  however, a very useful site  ...................  perhaps she's languishing on some Balearic island. ;)           

Offline Marc1976

• Members
    • Whitefriars, IoW and Scandi.
    • England
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 01:17:25 AM »
Emmi is a regular contributor on my Whitefriars Facebook group.

Other Whitefriars reference sites are.
www.whitefriarsorg.co.uk

And the revamped (temporarily?) forum only.
www.whitefriars.com

As well as my fb group below.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 09:15:45 AM »
thanks for the information - her skills are missed here - please pass on our good wishes. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand