No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opalescent vase  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Keencollector

• Members
Opalescent vase
« on: March 09, 2018, 11:18:18 AM »
I would like To identify this small vase.  It has been suggested that it may have been manufactured in USA but I did find it in David Peterson’s book on page 78, item number 753, described as from Stourbridge region, C 1900’s.  Thanks in advance if you recognise it.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Opalescent vase
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 12:28:57 PM »
 I can only think of Davidson, Greener and Burtles and Tate using this uranium "primrose pearline" for pressed glass the UK; none of these companies were anywhere near Stourbridge. See this thread
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,62586.msg351395.html#msg351395

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 02:40:52 PM »
would be interesting to know the origin of Dave Peterson's Stourbridge provenance -  it's unfortunate how these things have a habit of coming back and biting us long after we think we've put them to bed.               I know little about the connection between such pieces and their supposed origins, certainly less than Christine and Dave, but it goes to show the value and usefulness of providing supporting evidence when making definitive connections between glass and its origin. :)
To me this one doesn't quite have the look or richness of 'primrose pearline' as we understand such material as produced by Davidson (U.K.) for example.                     Might the appearance of the opaqueness of this vase suggest we call it Vaseline rather than opalescent?? :)
However, I wish the op luck in locating the correct manufacturer.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 03:26:49 PM »
Not all Davidson "primrose pearline" is a rich colour

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 03:56:43 PM »
then I stand corrected Christine - thanks. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 07:18:24 PM »
These are definitely a bit on the pale side (I checked them in the flesh) http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1253

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 07:37:55 PM »
I also thought the foot looks very like some Heppell pieces and we know that it was also made in marbled glass.

Just a thought could it be a Heppell design with the opalescent ones made by Davidson after they bought the moulds. A picture of another one that I have myself.

Roy

Offline Keencollector

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 03:01:52 AM »
Thank you for your comments Lustrousstone and Paul S.  Seems a difficult item to describe let alone identify.  Roy, thank you for your in put and I agree with your observation that the base is similar to Heppell and later Davidson pieces from Heppell mounds.  I hadn’t realised that until you pointed it out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand