No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is there such a thing as a glass truncheon?  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Is there such a thing as a glass truncheon?
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 08:05:09 AM »
Unfortunately, 'dumps', often those with complex interiors seem to have been produced more recently than the Victorian period - some are in exceptionally good condition.
The answer as to why use glass to keep the door open may relate to many similar situations where something which once had zero value and considered only of immediate utility use, was commandeered into service as the first heavy object to come to hand and which did the job.
These dumps originally had none of the antique value they now possess  -  look how much of our history we binned 1850 - 1950 before we realized the past was interesting and valuable.

how about an industrial sugar crusher?                 If you look at the much smaller sugar crushers used when making hot toddies in rummers, they had a similar domed head, which became worn with use  -  though these are not I don't think what we now call stirrers.   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 09:40:05 AM »
I will put a pick of the stirrer on later, yes I have seen a few Chinese 60's copies they are nothing like the originals as far as I have seen, all the flower dumps I have had or own have signs of age and if they are being copied who is doing it, some have three layers of glass almost Sommerso and would a dull Victorian house with hardly any contents stick a decorative thing on the floor to be knocked around?

They are also a bad design for a doorstop especially the taller ones and the top heavy ones they would just tip over and roll away.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 11:13:25 AM »
agree  -  in fact something like a cold iron would be a much more suitable heavy object, and it wouldn't roll away. ;D

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 02:14:31 PM »
It could be a Victorian sex toy?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 03:07:42 PM »
I thought the Victorians denied that sex even existed. ;D

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 07:58:57 PM »
There are sex museums in amsterdam maybe contact them, its a good idea Bat and looking at it i think you could be right.
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand