No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: For show - Bohemian pressed glass perfume bottle.  (Read 807 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
For show - Bohemian pressed glass perfume bottle.
« on: April 05, 2018, 03:37:27 PM »
Just love this Art Deco ??? pressed glass perfume bottle. Quite heavy at 646g.
The nearest I can find is shown here http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Bleikristall-1.172.0.html pages 104, 105. It shares some design features with those shown.
As far as I can tell 'Bleikristall' just means lead glass, so I can't pin it down to a particular maker as yet, but will keep on looking.
The design is lovely, particularly the knop with its sawtooth edge and vertical ridges.  I haven't included a pic. of the base, but it has a 20 point star.
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: For show - Bohemian pressed glass perfume bottle.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 03:39:45 PM »
Images are may be too small and not showing the pattern detail.
I'll try to do larger ones later.
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 05:31:23 PM »
cut decoration surely, Anne, rather than pressed? ;D         but, yes, agree very deco in style, and would agree either Czechoslovakia (Bohemia) or possibly German.              Forgive my ignorance, but when you say knop, do you mean the stopper  -  and does the stopper have a long drop rod?

Have you seen the examples in Ruth A. Forsythe's book - some of those really are to die for.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 06:28:39 PM »
Could well be cut glass, I'm sure you a right ::)  :-[ I have difficulty distinguishing one from the other especially when mould seams are cleverly hidden in the pattern and are well finished.  Yes I meant stopper.  It only has a short "drop rod", which is just the length of the neck.  The whole piece stands 6.5" high (can't figure out how to get a fraction on my keyboard ::)
I haven't got a copy of the book you mention and daren't buy one as it might lead to a whole new collection, although I guess my twelve perfume bottles constitutes a collection ;D but they are mostly more recent hand blown ones.
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 07:33:32 PM »
you might try  6.1/2"  -  but honestly it's probably easier and looks less complex to simply show it as 6.5"  -  and we did go decimal here in the U.K. c. 1970  ;D                    I never tire of deco appearance - it always seems to be in fashion.

Currently there are copies of Forsythe's book on Abe Books for under £20, and if you are into 1920s - 1930s scents/perfumes, then her book is full of deco stuff - and you get a lot of tango material too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand