No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart Vase - Ludwig Kny  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Bron357

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass, ceramics Art Deco
    • Australia
Stuart Vase - Ludwig Kny
« on: May 03, 2018, 11:58:13 PM »
hi all, this is my first post.
we have a lovely large and heavy Stuart crystal vase which we think is by Ludwig Kny. it has 3 engraved fish on it.  We found a similar picture on line. Where can we find out some more information on this vase. Are they rare? we would actually like to find another one to buy so we can have a pair. many thanks.

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Stuart Vase - Ludwig Kny
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 12:32:26 PM »
Very nice, I take it you can't find his signature, the mark may have worn away, from what I've read this might be by Reg Pierce who worked for Stuart there are pictures of his work that include birds and fishes, 1937-9.  ;D oh and welcome !  ;D ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 04:16:44 PM »
 :) Welcome.
This vase is illustrated in Nigel Benson's booklet "Art Deco to Post Modernism", on p.13.
The caption beside it says it is no. 27829 in the 1964 catalogue.

I can't quite work out what else it says.  :) Bear with me. I'm trying to get sense out of potted notes which refer to individual references of this design appearing in various catalogues books and articles. (The caption refers to these individual incidences.)
It would seem it is a much earlier design, from the '30s, but only made spordaically, some in the '40s and some in the '50s.
It was well promoted but "very few examples are recorded, possibly because it would have been prohibitively expensive."

Finding another would give you another vase the same, but it would not be a true pair. A true "pair" would have mirror images engraved on them.
I don't know if those were even made.

But I suspect you have something rather scarce and wonderful.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Bron357

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass, ceramics Art Deco
    • Australia
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 11:08:28 PM »
Thank you very much. We didn’t even know it was Stuart. Hubby did a google search Big Crystal Fish Vase and he spotted a photo from the Isle of Wight museum and went “that’s our vase”. Very close examination of the bottom and we found the faintest “Stuart England”. Yay. If there was another signature ? Maybe it’s just as well they are hard to find a pair of. We had a bit of an accident with a porcelain pot (a pair) sitting on my lovely plant stands and we now need a replacement display pair so that’s why I was thinking “a pair of these vases would be nice”.
The engraving, upon close examination, is absolutely amazing. It’s like 3 dimensional and the detail astonishing. Whoever did it was a supberb craftsman.
So now we know a bit more about this lovely, really heavy ! Vase.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 01:56:42 AM »
The #27829 is correct.  Here is the page from a catalog I have access to - and I suspect is 1964.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand