No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Need help with a 12" Gold and White handkerchief style glass vase  (Read 790 times)

Offline minarima

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • vases
    • United Kingdom
Need help with a 12" Gold and White handkerchief style glass vase
« on: September 01, 2018, 01:42:21 PM »
I saw this large vase while browsing in a charity shop and couldn't resist buying it as it's in perfect condition and the gold flecks look beautiful when they catch the light.

I have very little knowledge of glass vases and so any information would be greatly appreciated. It's 12 inches tall, 9 inches at its widest point, and very heavy. It doesn't have any marks, stickers, or inscriptions of any kind.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Helen W.

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • 20th C. Still refining!
    • UK
Re: Need help with a 12" Gold and White handkerchief style glass vase
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 02:14:20 PM »
Welcome. :) I'm new around here too.

I can't help with ID I'm afraid, but what an interesting find you've made. (Somebody more helpful will be along soon, I'm sure.  ;) ) I've never seen a large, heavy handkerchief shape on a knopped stem before. The metallic inclusions are unusual too. I tend think 'Murano' when I see a spectacular piece like this, but I understand there is some good quality glass coming out of south-east Asia and China nowadays that mimics designs originating elsewhere.

By the way, how did you manage to post such large, clear photos? I've been using the lowest available resolution on my camera, and I still have to crop severely to stay within the limits allowed by the board.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Need help with a 12" Gold and White handkerchief style glass vase
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 03:05:36 PM »
It looks very Makora to me.  :)
Contemporary ware, quite good quality decorative stuff from Poland.
There's a link to their website here;-

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=33421.0

(But it won't work for me. Probably the fault of my pc.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand