No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Antique uranium crystal wine glass ID please  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Ph

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Just love glass 😁
    • United Kingdom
Antique uranium crystal wine glass ID please
« on: April 18, 2019, 09:33:55 PM »
Good evening, anyone knows age and maker of this gorgeous tall wine glass? The top is uranium, it has strong UV glow and beautiful faceted cup.  A clear cut crystal stem has a very wide base and completely flat pontil (no pontil?).  Quite a lot of wear to base. I have tried to look it up but failed and after viewing millions of wine glasses today...😂 I needed to fill it up and test it myself😁.  Possibly Webb?? Many thanks in advance! Petra

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Antique uranium crystal wine glass ID please
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 06:52:43 AM »
Is Walsh Walsh another possibility?  The honeycomb cut reminds me of their bonnet tumblers and glasses.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ph

• Members
    • Just love glass 😁
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 08:27:32 AM »
I'll look! Thank you! 😊

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 08:53:52 AM »
take a magnifying glass and very very carefully check around the edge of the base to see if there is a faint acid edged mark. Walsh marks are notoriously difficult to spot and wear away with wear on the base.

m

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 05:14:29 PM »
Hi, nice glass. You say the base is completely flat and it looks that way from the wear shown in your photo - I may be being a bit thick but just to confirm, has it been ground and polished flat across the whole diameter of the foot? (P.s. hope it worked ok.)
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Ph

• Members
    • Just love glass 😁
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 08:38:33 PM »
Hi Flying free, unfortunately no mark..😉

Offline Ph

• Members
    • Just love glass 😁
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 08:42:48 PM »
Hi Ekimp,
It worked really well 😉
I have 4 of them so just checked the others and yes! The photographed one seems to have whole base polished flat. The others have various sizes of polished flat pontil...silly me not checking them all initially 😂😂
Petra

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 09:40:51 PM »
I have some Walsh bonnet shaped tumblers with honeycomb cutting on them. They have very large polished pontil marks.
Are they large on your other glasses?

Walsh was not always marked and sometimes the mark is so imperceptible it is incredibly difficult to see without the light suddenly catching it in the right way.

Walsh did do a bluey green colour glass as there is one pictured in the book The Glass of John Walsh Walsh on page 47 (large bowl with Iris decoration).    It looks more intense than yours on the piece in the book but that might be because it is a bigger piece and the photograph is from the side of the bowl so it would be showing the effect of two walls of glass if you see what I mean.
I believe it might be the same colour as this vase which looks a very different green in this link, to the one in the book:
https://scottishantiques.com/art-glass/british?product_id=3964

That link says it is uranium glass.

All that said, I've had a quick look through the book and could not spot a glass this shape or cut.  But it was a very quick look.

Offline Ph

• Members
    • Just love glass 😁
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 10:44:11 PM »
This is fascinating... thank you. I agree regarding the colour. It's almost more bright turquoise blue than green and glows in daylight even without a torch. The polished pontils are very large on 3 glasses and 4th one has the whole base polished. Lots of wear, really can't see any marks unfortunately.
Found this link for presumably older glasses that look almost exactly as mine except the pontil... Could mine be an old reproduction of even older glasses??

https://www.antiques-atlas.com/antique/six_facet_cut_stem_wine_glass_c1840/as790a577

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 10:58:41 AM »
Tumblers often seem to have a large ground pontil and I wonder if that is due to the way they’re are blown. Is the bottom of the unfinished tumbler more likely to be slightly convex requiring grinding of a larger area whereas is it easier to produce an applied foot slightly concave, only requiring a smaller area to be ground? I can’t remember seeing a stemmed glass with a ground flat foot before, is the one that’s ground flat the same diameter foot as the others?

In Bickerton’s Eighteenth Century English Drinking Glasses it says that ‘by the beginning of the last quarter of the [18th] century the faceted stem had almost completely captured the market : it reigned until the early years of the nineteenth century...’ so there were plenty about. Later, in the early twentieth century, according to Miller’s Collecting Glass, facet stem glasses were reproduced by Stevens and Williams and Whitefriars (probably among others). The reproductions it says are heavier weight, have thicker stems, flatter and thinner feet, and brighter colour. It says ‘the laborious technique of hexagonal facet cutting was also rarely used on such pieces.’ Your glass has the hexagonal facets, the ones in your link diamond facets, then there’s simple flat cut facets. Don’t suppose that rules anything in or out though  :)

I am always slightly wary when there is a near perfect set of glasses claiming to be almost 200 years old, especially when there are known to be later reproductions, who knows!

Antique glasses make the booze taste better! (Unless you break one).
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand