No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Decanter registered design 860410 also marked 640 and LHI - ID = Lumb's of Castleford  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
I picked up a decanter with a registered design number on it today, RD 860410, which dates from 1949 according to the National Archives. As it's beyond the scope of the Great Glass listing and the Blue Book I'm stumped currently as to its maker, but on the base along with the RD no are 640 and LHI. Does anyone know who LHI were please, I can't see any glassmaker in Ivo's book under L that could be them, nor any in the 1951 Directory for the British Glass Industry in 1951.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Decanter registered design 860410 also marked 640 and LHI
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 07:03:02 PM »
Two more pics showing the stopper pattern and shape. It's hollow and open at the bottom. No tie numbers.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 04:51:30 PM »
My guess would be that this was produced by one of the bottle-works as a product container.

L H I contenders.
Liddle, Henzel & Co Newcastle Upon Tyne (1933 PG annual)
H L & H Israel, Wholesaler London (1950 PG annual)
Lowenstein & Hecht, Wholesaler London (1950 PG annual)

So probably not the makers initials. Could be the commissioner or product maker.

Height & liquid capacity?

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 05:37:16 PM »
Thanks Frank, some ideas to check out there.

The capacity is 800ml to the top of the swirled part, height 30cm (inc stopper), base width 10cm.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 06:34:12 PM »
I know we've had a few Registered designs posted previously, for pressed items  -  they tend to be around this period - and I think we've usually been able to find an id for most if not all.           Don't recall that I've ever seen a pressed bottle with matching Nos., but stand to be corrected.

In my humble opinion open ended stoppers must be found very rarely on pressed bottles - I've only ever seen them on cut examples.        I recall jp providing some information on such things  -  I forget now what he said as it was a few years back    ………  was it that they were intended to provide for a small swig of the contents if you were missing a drinking glass?

Don't know when I shall be at Kew next  -  you may have to wait for a few weeks Anne.          Assume this one hasn't occurred on the Board's archive previously?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 10:08:59 PM »
That is an odd size so I would say not used for fluids, stopper would confirm that. My guess would be bath salts or similar. To big for sweets I think.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 11:16:44 PM »
Paul, thank you, there's no rush. It can rest safely on a shelf with others until we learn more about it. :)  It's not been on the board previously nor on the GlassGallery.

Frank, the neck is too narrow for bath salts or sweets, it's a wine bottle sized neck, and takes a standard kitchen funnel to fill it.  Most of the bath salts ones I've see have plastic stoppers with wider openings, this one doesn't have that - it's an open base to the stopper.  It's around the same size as the Cottle decanters, which I thought it might be when I saw it, only to get home and realise it was way too late for Cottle whose registrations are all pre-WW2. I did wonder if it's another one of the Bagley designs made to order so not catalogued, like the recently discovered White and Mackay one. I'll drop Angela a line with pics too and see what she thinks.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 01:25:07 PM »
Have now visited TNA, and have pix and Registrant details for 860410 - plus, unexpectedly, further information and photos relating to variations on the same design and from the same Registrant  -  I hope to post within next 24 hours.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 04:02:39 PM »
Brilliant, thank you Paul. I await your findings with great anticipation. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 08:06:14 PM »
John Lumb of Castleford., Yorks. is a name about which I know nothing, so will leave to others to provide some background information  -  I could be wrong, but suspect they were agents/wholesalers only and not manufacturers.            No idea if they have ever cropped up on the pressed section here previously.

Reg. 860410 was first applied for on 18th November 1949, though for whatever reason this wasn't effected by the Board of Trade until 17th of April 1950, and a similar delay occurred again on two more of Lumb's subsequent applications which the company made on 19th December 1949 -for the same design of bottle - but with slight variations in decoration.
The basic design of bottle shows geometric spiralling around the neck and lower portions of the bottle with a midriff showing some sort of regular pattern, and it's this central band that varies in Lumb's slightly later Registrations ..............  perhaps they found the first design sufficiently successful that it encouraged them to knock out a couple more  -  who knows. 

Quite why the CLASS is blank I've no idea  -  usually Registrants confuse matters by entering the wrong one - or perhaps it's their agent that's responsible.        The description of this Registration is rather long winded, though for the subsequent two they shortened this to Decanter.

The final picture here showing wording connecting all three Registrations, was found on the back of one of the sheets for this Archive item  - not entirely sure I follow the sense so hope others do, though think I get the gist.

This reply shows pix for 860410 only, with pix for two further separate Registrations in the following reply.          I don't recall seeing any of Lumb's bottles in my travels, but maybe I've forgotten.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand