No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cracked earth effect bowl with hard to read signature - ID = Will Shakspeare  (Read 2456 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
I feel the need to atone for the dull dessert dish, so I thought I would share one of my current absolute favourite pieces.  It is very hard to capture in a photo as it changes all the time.  It's sitting here next to me on the settee in all its gorgeousness, and I tried to capture how it looks in one of the pictures below.

20.5cm diameter x 4.5cm high.  Very heavy.....thick at the centre and decreasing out to the rim.  Very shallow bowl so pretty useless for anything other than looking at it!

All the "cracks" are clear glass.  Each "mosaic" has a blue backing.  Everything changes when held up to daylight.  I will post a lot of pictures of this one, to try and give you some idea of what I see.

I thought the signature was "Shots" or "Shats", and I expect you can imagine what google made of those options.  I am now thinking it's something like "Shoks" or "Shakes".  Have powdered its bottom, but it didn't make much difference.

I really want to know how it has been made.  I thought maybe fused glass of some sort - it looks like the edge of torn paper around the mosaics....especially from the back under magnification.  It is very hard to stop looking at it!
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
Re: Cracked earth effect bowl with hard to read signature
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 06:32:35 PM »
More shots - 2nd and 3rd shots are the back and front against the daylight
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 06:38:21 PM »
Signature below - the bottom one is just taken on the settee.....kind of how it looks to me on a day-to-day basis
Cat 😺

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 06:54:39 PM »
It reads 'Shaks' which is how Will Shakspeare signs his work. Lovely piece.  :)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 07:22:13 PM »
Greg.....I honestly thought you were having a laugh......"it's how Will Shakespeare signs his work" ....... 😹

But I see you've already nailed it......I've had a quick look at his website and haven't yet found anything like it.  I wonder if he would mind if I contacted him to ask how it was made?
Cat 😺

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 07:33:15 PM »
 :)
I'm sure he will be happy to help, it's an interesting piece.

I had a quick look through his website too and couldn't see it.

Just to add the playwright has an extra 'e' in his name ;)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 07:35:47 PM »
Have had a proper look now and he has some beautiful pieces.  I usually find that when I have a piece identified, and then start looking at their other work, I realise I have a very low level example.  This time was definitely different.......I wouldn't swap mine for any of the others......but I would happily add some of them to mine!

Cat 😺

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 07:39:44 PM »
Sounds like it found the right home :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 07:41:23 PM »
I'm very shocked and surprised too.
I immediately thought it was Dartington Studio.  ::) ;D
But the "Shaks" has got a lot bigger, clearer and more readable than I am used to!
I'm used to peering and searching for a tiny scratch that looks made with a pin. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
That's macro photography.....it's really only a couple of mm high.  It looks like one of those signatures you'd know if you'd seen it before.  So funny that two of us were posting his work at the same time!
Cat 😺

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand