No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue crystal footed bowl - cut/engraved whales/sharks/fish.  (Read 914 times)

Offline acabitto

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Footed bowl - no mold seams - 3 wheel cut/engraved fish/sharks/whales around the sides - beautiful blue color - believe this is crystal as it rings out beautifully when struck or rubbed. No mold seams. Unfortunately one small chip on the inside edge of the rim. Anyone know the maker? I've had several suggestions that it's probably Scandinavian but I haven't gotten further than that so far. Not marked - that I can find. About 5 1/2" tall and about 5" in diameter at the widest point. Thanks for looking!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline acabitto

• Members
    • United States
Re: Blue crystal footed bowl - cut/engraved whales/sharks/fish.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 04:14:53 PM »
A few more pics...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 09:44:38 PM »
It appears from the pictures to have an unusual rim for a bowl.....and looking at the proportions of the piece......I wonder if it might have had a lid/cover like a bonbon.  That might also account for the chips on the inside edge of the rim.  Very surprised there's no signature or Mark.

I thought perhaps Cynthia Myers as you are in the USA.....but I haven't seen any footed bowls.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline acabitto

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 02:20:08 AM »
Thank you Cat :) I wondered if it might have had a lid too - but the rim is a bit different than other lidded dishes/bowls I've seen too - but it's definitely possible. I did stumble across Cynthia Myers works (very beautiful) when I first started researching this one - but like you said - no examples of footed bowls by her that I can find. Thanks very much for taking the time to look and respond!

Aaron

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand