No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stevens and Williams tumblers question  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Dory64

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Crystal
    • New Zealand
Stevens and Williams tumblers question
« on: July 07, 2019, 02:41:22 AM »
Hi, new member so not sure how this works, but I'm trying to find out if my tumblers which appear to be the Bruce design and are acid etched with Brierley are likely to be from the factory that became Royal Brierley and therefore pre-1919 (when the Royal warrant was added)? My research so far would indicate that if this is the case, they would be Stevens & Williams, but then why marked Brierley? Can anyone point me to somewhere the marks are shown for the different periods? Thanks so much in anticipation.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Stevens and Williams
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 09:15:48 AM »
The legal company name was Stevens and Williams; the glassworks was Brierley and the post-warrant trading name was Royal Brierley, so Brierley was just a trademark or trading name or both

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand