No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dartington or Scandi?  (Read 2125 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Dartington or Scandi?
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 03:17:39 PM »
Bjorkshult was a new one on me......and now that I've had a very quick look I can see it may be the answer to a few of my mystery pieces.....as well as a decanter in the same place the bowl came from!  Am going back for another look......
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 03:34:42 PM »
On the bad news front......I don't think it's Bjorkshult ...... But good news from a look at Wuidart.....I appear to have a large whitefriars Wealdstone vase in one of the boxes......unless I donated it a couple of house moves ago as it was so big and heavy 😹

The search continues......Roz, I do hope you're having as much fun as I am!
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 05:11:12 PM »
Every time I look at it I think "Viking" ......nothing for Viking glass.....
Cat 😺

Offline Roz

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 08:06:07 AM »
I think "Waves"! The cut outs remind me of that famous Japanese painting of waves.

I methodically went through all the Scandi manufacturers I could think of once I realised it wasn't in the Smithson Dartington book. And then I stopped looking because I have a business to run, and this will eventually get identified, probably while I'm researching something else entirely! I've put the question to two forums on Facebook, but they haven't been able to help either. I'm so pleased that you bought the bowl in that pattern - it means that at least three sizes of bowls were made, so the prototype theory begins to look less likely. Incidentally, some of the Rosenthal crystal designs are great aren't they? I only think of Rosenthal as a porcelain manufacturer - I need to be more open-minded. 

And I snagged a gorgeous pair of Davidson amber cloud glass large plates yesterday. I've never seen cloud glass as a plate before, only as flower bowls and dressing table sets. Still learning!

;D

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 04:08:48 PM »
Hi Roz.  I know what you mean by the Japanese waves .....always amazes me how the same thing can evoke very different thoughts. 

Following your earlier comment about missing FT designs,  I was hoping you might have heard from Dartington, even if it only ruled them out completely.

I can't recall seeing a large round cloud plate either, so two at once is brilliant.  Big fan of Rosenthal crystal designs, but even bigger fan of their porcelain.....including the Karner kitten I shouldn't have bought this week but couldn't resist.  I did consider Rosenthal for our pieces and I wonder if you spotted their Studio-Linie (not a mistype) petal bowl?  I was put off by the slightly more pronounced foot rim.  It did occur to me that it might be worth finding out who designed it, and it appears to be Claus Josef Reidel (see link)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/563658811/rosenthal-studio-linie-crystal-petal

Not had a chance to follow up yet, but will probably do that later.  I remain convinced we will crack this one and, in the meantime, I am learning heaps!

Cat 😺

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2019, 05:53:07 PM »
Riedel (not Reidel as mistyped above) Looks like another dead end......but it did lead to a labelled example of another piece I had posted!
Cat 😺

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 02:52:33 PM »
Roz, I'm beginning to think we have the only pieces in existence.......are you anywhere around the south coast UK?  Every time I see a petal bowl I trawl the rest of that makers' pieces, and nothing.  My natural optimism is being challenged!

Did you contact Dartington?
Cat 😺

Offline Roz

• Members
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2019, 09:56:31 AM »
Hi Cat, sorry for the silence. The business has gone a bit crazy, the garden is in full production (I grow veg and soft fruit) and time seems to just run away with me.  :o
I haven't contacted Dartington yet, but showed my brother and sister in law the photos of my bowls. They are great Dartington fans, and they used to go the factory shop at least once a year. (I'm going back about 30 or 35 years here). They both say the bowls are typical of what would turn up in the factory shop as trial pieces. If something had been tried but wasn't considered suitable for mass production, any saleable pieces would be in the shop. And that's what I had thought right at the beginning, when I couldn't find them in the Smithson book.
I do keep checking any other likely suspects though. For example, today I've gone through all the Walther / Mikasa pages on Replacements.com, because they use that textured surface in quite a few pieces, and they're quite adventurous with the design of their rims.
So my bowls are currently on the "naughty shelf", not forgotten, but still not identified.  ???
Meanwhile, I captured one of the most amazing pieces of cobalt blue cut to clear glass about 6 weeks ago. I'll be asking for help with it later today.
Thank you for all your help so far. And no, I'm not on the South coast (I'm slap bang in the middle of England), but I bought mine from a car boot on the south side of London.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand