No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: paper label on studio glass perfume bottle. Any ID please?  (Read 4276 times)

Offline createdbear

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • England
paper label on studio glass perfume bottle. Any ID please?
« on: August 27, 2019, 06:19:57 PM »
Hello forum,
Any ideas on the maker of this perfume bottle?
The exterior is very gritty and rough and the front is sliced off to reveal the blue interior. Nice little blue teardrop in the stopper. No mark to the base but the sticker should give a clue. Looks like CD. As usual, thank you for any help. Greatly appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: paper label on studio glass perfume bottle. Any ID please?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 07:06:42 PM »
This looks like a piece of "overshot" glass.  You'll find more information about the technique in the link below.  Even if a piece has no markings to the base, we really do like to see them as they can often provide clues.  Please post a picture of the base. 

http://www.theglassmuseum.com/overshot.htm

Interestingly, it was very easy to find this Amber version with no label, and attributed to Murano.  Unfortunately, the link is too old to access the original information, so we only have the picture.

https://images.app.goo.gl/foqjKwUzEwBh8oKAA
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline createdbear

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 08:25:38 PM »
Thank you Catshome for your informative and helpful post. The amber piece is definitely from the same making. I do find it a little odd though that the sticker would be on the front rather than the base. I shall upload a pic of the base (flat and polished) and I am now gong to have a good read about overshot glass. Thanks again for your help.

Offline createdbear

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 09:59:50 PM »
Actually, I am wondering if the sticker has got anything to do with the bottle! I think someone may have just stuck it there and it is off something completely unrelated. I have found quite a few images of bottles that are the same as mine and they are all attributed to Fratelli Toso/Murano.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 10:12:38 PM »
Many glass makers put labels on the front of pieces, it's not at all uncommon.  I wouldn't dismiss, or remove, it just yet.  "Attributed to" is not the same as a confirmed identification.  There are a lot of wrongly attributed pieces around.  Dig a bit deeper, and also wait a bit longer to see who else replies.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline createdbear

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 10:28:03 PM »
I agree. I say attributed which I saw a couple of times but most state by Frat Toso or Murano. I will wait and see if anyone else comes up with some info. I haven't removed the label. It is still in place.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 06:14:32 AM »
I suspect this is actually made in China under the Fifth Avenue brand and that the label is either a stray or a retailer's label

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 07:29:34 AM »
I was wondering if CD stood for Chinese design 😹

Christine nailed it.....there are quite a few around for "fifth avenue crystal"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fifth-Avenue-Crystal-Red-Art-Glass-Perfume-Bottle-Iced-Sugar-Coating-Frosted/254191981680?hash=item3b2f05d470:g:XI0AAOSwTEZcK9Fy

Interesting to see how many of these pieces are described as Murano on various sites.
Cat 😺

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 09:36:27 AM »
A bit more digging brought up a link between Fifth Avenue Crystal, and a parent company Crystal Clear Industries.  Maybe the label is ccI, rather than cd.
Cat 😺

Offline createdbear

• Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 09:42:07 AM »
Ooh, I'm feeling rather deflated now lol. I've just looked at the label and yes, it is quite obvious that it is CCI. Mind you, I'll give it its due...it is a good piece. I love the colour and it is well made. Thank you Catshome and Chrstine for your help. I think we can put this one to bed now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand