No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Decorated bottle with distinct mark - please help me to identify  (Read 11505 times)

Offline Beege

• Members
  • The beauty of sand astounds me!
    • Collectibles
    • Great Britain
Good afternoon all.
This bottle is 9.5 inches (24.5 cams) tall and has a very slight amber colouring. There are a number of small 'flaws in the glass and the sides are slightly concave, making it very easy to hold. The pattern around the base seems (to me) to be somewhere between art nouveau and art deco.
The bottle is marked on the base and I have tried to photograph this: it appears either like an upside-down vase with an 'S' over a 'T' or a right way up vase with a stopper (perhaps) and an 'S' inside.
I've been unable to identify this mark; so do any of you fine folk recognise this so that I can discover the maker and potential age?
Thank you for any help you can offer.
Jack

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Decorated bottle with distinct mark - please help me to identify
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 09:34:33 PM »
hi   -  I've tried a few of the 'marks on bottles web sites', but no joy, and those places seem to be related to States material anyway, and have to say the GMB probably not the best of places for bottle id.
As a purely personal thought, I don't know that the moulded decoration shows any particular allegiance to nouveau or deco  -  though I appreciate that the longish curves of the pattern might suggest a slight nod toward the former style, but really, curves in some form or another occur in most periods of decoration.              I sense that it might be post 1950, as the screen image looks to be showing glass that is clear and quite white.             Usually, unless there is some special reason for keeping a bottle, most similar items tend to be binned within a few years of purchase.              Assume the neck design suggests originally a cork stopper.

This moulded type of glass suggests cheapness  -  the shape appears not to be total utility in the sense of a milk or wine bottle - a holiday souvenir of liqueur or similar or food related oil maybe  -  just guessing.                As to origin this might have come from almost anywhere in the western world  -  the suggestion of an amber tint could indicate a Continental origin.

The presence or absence of wear might give a hint of age  -  in the pix the base doesn't appear to show wear but that might just be due to screen quality.
Provenance for this one is likely to be elusive - what makes you curious about this bottle in particular? :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Beege

• Members
  • The beauty of sand astounds me!
    • Collectibles
    • Great Britain
Re: Decorated bottle with distinct mark - please help me to identify
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 08:31:44 AM »
Good morning Paul.
I also tried to find clues by looking at 'bottle marks' data on the internet...without success.
I suspect what tweaked my interest was the shape, flaws and colouring (albeit sight). Despite the bottle being rounded, the concave nature of the sides suggests thought had been applied to make the bottle easy to pick up and hold without danger of dropping. However, the bubbles and 'grit' in the glass implied a crudity which contradicted my previous comment. Despite the subtleness of the colouring, I thought it rather attractive.
You may well be correct with your thoughts on the tourist nature of this bottle, I have no way of telling. However, I thought it worthy of a question simply because I have not seen one before and it has an obvious mark.
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Jack.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand