No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bristol Blue decanter, late 19thC?  (Read 994 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Bristol Blue decanter, late 19thC?
« on: September 05, 2019, 05:19:02 AM »
Just over 11 inches high, polished pontil, and plenty of wear.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Bristol Blue decanter, late 19thC?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 07:31:40 AM »
always an attractive colour, and good looking piece  -  do we think it should be called a perpendicular cylinder?    Is there any particular reason this should be labelled as late C19 - is there a reference example in a book somewhere?  :)
According to McConnell, this general shape was popular 1840 - 1860, often as part of the Gothic Revival, though not sure the stopper here could be called Gothic - perhaps the stopper has more of a C20 look.               Are there any matching Nos.?

The neck adornment appears to show a nod toward a string ring perhaps.

Sorry, regret I've no thoughts on a positive date or id  -  this blue seems to pop up at various times  -  let's hope someone will have the answer, but it is a good looking bottle :)

P.S.      might be worth having a look - if you can find them - at some of the Hill-Oustons's repro designs from the 1920/30 period  ……..   they certainly knocked out a lot of B.B. material covering all types of table glass, including decanters, based on historic shapes etc.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 08:14:59 AM »
Looks like a forgot the actual date the polished pontil was first used. Seems to be 1834 when they started using it. There are no marks at all.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 10:24:47 AM »
Looks like a Serving bottle. If so would have contained spirits, maybe gin, for use at the table.

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 11:32:09 AM »
quote  -   "perhaps the stopper has more of a C20 look."          obviously it pays to put specs. on in the morning, which would discount my suggestion of a decanter, unless of course there is wear inside the neck.   
Not sure I follow the comments about 1834 -  is the suggestion that this was when polished pontil depressions were first used?          I had thought this was a practice dating back to the C18.

obviously I've led too sheltered a life, and although serving bottles for the table for wine are reasonably common, I was unaware of the same thing for gin.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 03:17:54 PM »
I tend to assume that wine would be served in a clear glass vessel (to see the colour of the wine) but no idea if that is more of a modern practice.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 04:11:24 PM »
I got 1834 from this website... https://sha.org/bottle/pontil_scars.htm

"2. Some early 19th century bottles - particularly decorative bottles intended to be kept indefinitely - were often fire polished as the final step in the production process.  Fire polishing was reported to have been developed by the English in 1834, though some American flasks from an earlier period appear to have been fire polished."

No wear on the inside rim, in fact there's a very thin rim running around it, i doubt a glass stopper would fit well.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 04:38:47 PM »
Bickerton’s Eigtheenth Century Drinking Glasses gives the fourth quarter of the 18th century ‘about 1775’ as the time when cutting and polishing techniques had improved, facilitating faceted stems and ground out pontil scars (in drinking glasses).
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 06:15:09 PM »
as always with multiple input there's a problem with getting sidetracked  -  as with any attempt at dating, it's usually the case that there's a need for maximum features with positive definable dating characteristics, before leaping into a particular era.        IMHO, polished pontil depressions are a tad too vague, and Bristol blue has been around since the Romans, apparently.           But it's the 'string ring' that seems out of place here - assuming that's what's on the neck  -  they've not been on bottles for several centuries - so assuming this item is a  serving bottle than presumably the ring is purely decorative and not made for use.
This one may well have been made as a table serving bottle for spirits, but looking at examples of blue spirit bottles they appear, usually, as bulbous shapes or as spirit squares.
The Bohemians and Germans drank their Rhenish stuff from green or red glasses and made coloured bottles, and perhaps in the U.K., as suggested, we used clear bottles as Brits. preferred red wine (picture of a clear bottle attached - probably first half C20 -  it's a perpendicular cylinder decanter and not a serving bottle -  as it has the No. 46 on the pouring rim, but came without a stopper).

But who knows  -  this is an attractive bottle but with an elusive birth date, unless we can find some corroboration in the form of a known datable example for comparison.            Dating this one is all the more problematic as there seem to be very few examples of serving bottles compared to decanters with stoppers, of which there are very many, and blue ones even more rare  -  if pushed I'd go for either a repro item from the 1920/30s, or back nearer the middle of the C19 - wear on serving bottles can seem disproportionate if they're used most days for half a century, or if you're a lush ;)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 01:24:58 PM »
In Miller’s glass Antiques Checklist, under British and Irish Decanters, Coloured Decanters, it says ‘English coloured examples date from around 1810 and were made to hold spirits’. It goes on to say ‘Prince Albert’s influence led to an interest in German white wines, and a market for attractive serving bottles developed. Produced from around 1850, these decanters followed the tall, narrow shape of Hock wine bottles. First made in single colours...’
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand