No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blown Cobalt Carafes with applied prunt  (Read 1169 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Blown Cobalt Carafes with applied prunt
« on: September 09, 2019, 02:01:24 PM »
These carafes (jugs/flasks/decanters?) are 9" high, weigh approx. 700g, and are in a deep cobalt glass with lovely purple hues.  Random bubbles apparent when held up to the light.  Not the prettiest polished pontil, not quite round and also off-centre.  There are some faint concentric circles around the pontil mark.  There are slight "ridges" on the body - these can be felt more than seen, although I have managed to capture them in a picture.  Quite thickly made - one piece has had, literally, a lump out of it, without causing any damage to the surrounding glass.  It is helpful to have a pair as the very slight variations - such as the wonky rim on one - make it clear they are handmade.

I was absolutely convinced I had seen a thread here recently with a piece (one of Anne's maybe) with the same prunt, which was a maker's mark rather than a decorative or practical feature.  I thought I had made a mental note to look out for this prunt.  However, I have failed completely to find a single other piece with a prunt with this pattern.  The closest prunt pattern I could identify is the "rosette prunt".

So far I have searched for carafe/jug/flask/decanter in all possible combinations with glass/blue/cobalt.  I've even just searched for "glass prunt".  The colour reminded me of my Hadeland cobalt decanter, so I looked at Hadeland and most of the usual Scandinavian suspects.

I wondered if there used to be a silver collar, or silver mount with handle, as the neck between the shoulders and where it flares for the spout is very straight and there is a hint of a line (this is really hard to explain!), but it could just be from the way it was made.

A search of the board failed to locate the thread with the same prunt…..but I am spending so much time looking at glass these days that I'm even dreaming about it, so maybe I dreamt it!
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
Re: Blown Cobalt Carafes with applied prunt
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 02:05:45 PM »
Base and image to try and show "ridges"
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 08:11:02 PM »
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 07:39:36 AM »
Hmmm.......you may be right......I was so sure I had seen the same distinctive prunt, rather than a roundel, on the board.  Thank you for finding the thread - at least I can stop looking for that now - hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction for my pieces.
Cat 😺

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 07:10:08 AM »
Giving this a little bump.  Any thoughts on where I should look next would be much appreciated.

Added : just thought I'd have another trawl and came up with Novica Mexico.  This jug has a similar look, but so far I haven't found any of their pieces with the applied prunt.

https://images.app.goo.gl/jrC99J699TGBgXAD7
Cat 😺

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand