No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cut and engraved soup/desert plates  (Read 953 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Cut and engraved soup/desert plates
« on: September 19, 2019, 08:06:45 PM »
They are just over 6.5 inches diameter and 1 inch high. This Steuben plate is the closest i've found so far... https://www.cmog.org/artwork/plate-55?search=collection%3Ac3d95e2b322f0c7d0e7f280c6af4a903&page=840

Any ideas where and when?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Cut and engraved soup/desert plates
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 03:28:35 PM »
The shape makes me think it's a wine bottle coaster rather than a plate or bowl.
Sorry, I can't help more than that. I know the sort of thing it is, I do see it around, and it is old.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 06:25:41 PM »
I'd agree, an underplate for 'something' is more likely than a 'plate' in the ordinary sense, due to the size.          You might have more luck concentrating the search using 'copper wheel engraving', but unlikely you'll have luck in getting an id in the way of maker or country of origin, although on balance and if pushed you might be better off thinking British.

Silber & Fleming (c. 1880) include underplates/plates of about the same diameter for ………..   apparently biscuit boxes/barrels had them on occasions - butter dishes likewise plus, when they were sold on their own, - ice plates it seems.

The absence of any 'ferny' look to the engraving might suggest early C20 rather than Victorian though doubtless not a hard and fast rule, and the actual appearance of engraving is probably fairly commonplace, with the circles of repeat dots, ovals and lines (also seen on the Steuben example), so nothing unusual to guide a search.                       Wear, or otherwise, might give a hint of age, but frequently unpredictable/unreliable - date wise could be anywhere from mid C19 to 1920s.            How many do you have?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 08:23:54 PM »
Thank you both. I have two of them. There's very little wear on the base, a few scratches here and there. I get the feeling these weren't moved around much. Some parts of the engraving are filled with muck, suggesting maybe they were handled a lot and difficult to clean.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand