No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Looks like a small decanter but I doubt it !  (Read 902 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Looks like a small decanter but I doubt it !
« on: October 14, 2019, 11:23:18 PM »
Just a little over 5 inches tall, flat base with cracked pontil mark, loads of wear, no grinding for a stopper and a fair amount of bloom, could it be a measure ?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Looks like a small decanter but I doubt it !
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 01:30:19 AM »
Maybe a half Gill spirit measure.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 07:48:44 AM »
How much does it hold Keith?
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 08:12:10 AM »
nice piece Keith.              It's not doing it for me as an official pub or tavern measure - and though such things weren't always marked, the fact that it's copying a full sized wide-lipped bottle  -  possibly a Prussian from c. 1810 - 1840  -  makes me think more of a single serving table bottle.     There are a few examples of measures showing in McConnell's book, and like others of their ilk they appear quite different to yours, though it has to be said that measure marks can sometimes be difficult to find.                    There was a member here some year or two back who collected measures and had a v.g. collection  -  located in Canada I think, but not seen him for a while  -  he would be more likely to know if this was a measure.
The lack of decoration and the untreated pontil scar suggest a more utilitarian piece, and the absence of stopper wear would suggest this isn't simply a miniature decanter.
Bottles of this size and intended as carafes were mostly without lips such as yours, and with unadorned necks.      Is that lower ring either deformed or damaged?
So - I'll plump for a table serving bottle rather than a measure.                         Regarding the bloom, you might try some Magic Balls (copper covered steel balls) - place in bottle with a little water and shake vigorously - not you, just the bottle ;)

P.S.  am sure there must still be pix on the Board somewhere showing some of the later Victorian pieces that were genuine measures.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 09:01:30 AM »
I was thinking along the same lines as Paul.  If it holds about a glass of wine, it could be one of the ones you sometimes see on Downton Abbey type period dramas, where the butler brings a tray for the Lord of the manor's supper.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 11:31:02 AM »
Thanks again all, it holds about 5 fluid oz, each of the neck rings have an internal mark which I presume is where the rings were joined together, couldn't be bothered to clean it up, Downton what ?  ::) ;D ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 12:47:45 PM »
Song by Petula Clarke, Keith.  ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 01:21:39 PM »
the neck rings thingy has a two fold meaning  -  on really old bottles they were applied separately, and sometimes this can be detected insofar as dirt gets right down behind them and is nigh on impossible to remove.               Later C19 bottles had the rings as part of the moulding of the whole bottle.
I've seen the Downton Abbey film - quite good really, though I'm not usually into sugary - look how the working classes doff their caps to the upper classes - type films …………..   in fact I think it has garnered ratings of sufficient high popularity that they're going to make a sequel called 'The decline and fall of Downton Abbey' ;) ;)

Do you have Magic Balls Keith?

I didn't know you were that old m, to remember Pet Clarke  -  I'm only going on what older people have told me :-*

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 04:26:27 PM »
Probably not a measure,,but 5 fluid ounces is 1 Gill.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 05:17:25 PM »
Nice one Sue  ;D ;D,
Not answering that one Paul  :o
So just for pouring not for measuring, that's ok, ta.  ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand