No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help required - Murano Afro Celotto or Luca Vidal abstract ? 55 cm high  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Murano54

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Murano
    • New zealand
Hi all , first post here so hi to everyone . Picked this abstract piece up yesterday in a Uk Antique shop whilst on hols here from NZ . Its unsigned but has a label saying “ item no 4267 , size 22” 55cm “ .after a lot of google research i have narrowed it down to Murano Master glass makers - either Afro Celotto and Luca Vidal. Anyone out there familiar with their work . Any help appreciated , cheers Gary

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Hello Gary, and welcome.

Lovely big piece! Any chance of a picture of the base?

Thanks
Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Murano54

• Members
    • Murano
    • New zealand
Thanks Cat , base is completely flat and unpolished , thanks again ,Gary

Offline Murano54

• Members
    • Murano
    • New zealand
And another photo

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I'm afraid the unpolished base in conjunction with the lack of finess in the latticino and then adding the random bubbles, is all making me think this is contemporary Chinese glass rather than anything by a masterglassmaker.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Murano54

• Members
    • Murano
    • New zealand
Thanks so much Sue , sometimes you have to take a gamble with glass pieces  . didn’t pay too much for it , cheers Gary

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Sometimes you win! Chinese glass is getting better and better all the time - they have taken mastermakers from Poland to teach the makers properly.
I'm afraid I don't like the centre part of the "wheel" of the canes either - if it were by a master, it would all be neat. I was quietly very suspicious until I saw the base, and thought it is time to voice my thoughts. (Murano isn't my area)
I would also have though if it were a major piece by a master, it would have been signed.
It is still very decorative. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Mod: Duplicate thread removed from the Murano & Italy forum.

Having more than one thread for the same item causes confusion if replies are added to each thread. When an ID is confirmed, the thread will be moved by a Moderator to the appropriate "country" forum.

Taking my Moderator hat off, I think Sue has raised iportant points. I would add that I feel the whole vase looks too "dull" to be Celotto or Vidal. But several of the latticinio do look close to some used in Vidal items. The other main point I am wary about is that the neck appears to be "falling over" rather than delicately poised as with Vidal items of a similar structure (as seen on the internet).

As for the base finish, I would not rule out a non-Chinese source! What is really needed is a base photo of authentic Celotto / Vidal pieces.
KevinH

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I do agree about the non-polished base not neccessarily being Chinese.  8)
 - it was "everything together" that had me speaking up.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Murano54

• Members
    • Murano
    • New zealand
Thanks for your replies . Have found examples from both glassmakers and they seem to polish their bases and sign too . Could possibly be an apprentice piece or very early experiment but doubt these ever got released into the market . Thanks Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand