No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with ID of green blue vase with ovals  (Read 1827 times)

Offline bennyprofane99

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Murano
    • UK
Help with ID of green blue vase with ovals
« on: January 26, 2020, 07:45:37 PM »
I'm trying to identify this vase which is 6 inches tall and green blue. The oval pattern is indented on the inside and ridged on the outside. It has a pontil in the base.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Help with ID
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 08:56:42 PM »
Hi  -  may we ask please for some additional information.           Is the top rim ground/polished (in other words not hot finished)  -  when you say pontil, are you suggesting a scar or a shallow depression -  from what you say about the surfaces, then presumably this piece is moulded

the lenses have an appearance quite similar to the many forms in which we see the Borske Sklo (Czechoslvakian) Large Olives pattern  -  had you investigated that possibility  -  not saying this is the same, but probably worth checking just to eliminate.         Just a thought.

on reflection and despite appearances, think unlikely to be B.S. large olives  -  those have a mould finished base, usually, and not a pontil mark of any kind.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bennyprofane99

• Members
    • Murano
    • UK
Re: Help with ID
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 10:59:07 PM »
Hi there,
Thanks for your very helpful reply. I am a complete novice so I'm not sure I understand your questions but I'll do my best as would love to identify this.
- the top rim is slightly thick and wobbly along the top with a few small indents
- yes, a shallow depression that is slightly off centre (photo attached)
- the oval shapes are quite uniform but they get smaller towards the bottom and are quite indented on the inside

Hope this helps!

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Help with ID of green blue vase with ovals
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 06:08:34 AM »
Hi and welcome to the board.

When you post could you use a descriptive subject line rather than just Help with ID - see here for why it matters, thanks!  https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,17458.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 08:47:54 AM »
I don't know that my reply was helpful  -  we've yet to discover the maker :)

your description of the top of your vase suggests the glass was hot finished at the rim - (not cold finished, which leaves a flat sharp-edged rim) - and this would look to agree with the fact that the vase was attached, at the base, to a pontil rod, in order to heat finish the top rim.     
When the rod is snapped away from the base, the result is a rough/sharp area which is generally described as a pontil scar, and this scar needs to be removed by grinding/polishing, the consequence of which leaves the usual tell-tale shallow depression on the underside of the base.

There has been a mould involved in the making of your vase, though quite what sort and to what extent I'm unsure  -  there are other folk here who will hopefully explain that part of the process for you.

It is quite remarkable how similar in appearance these surface 'ovals/lenses' are to the B. S. Large Olives pattern, but from what you've said, it seems that yours is unrelated.

So  -  no further forward unfortunately, but hopefully someone will be able to help.

P.S.      It's worth remembering that genuine ground/polished pontil depressions - on the underside of glass - can be mimicked by moulding.        Some modern inexpensive glass pieces are known to show what appears to be a polished depression, but looked at carefully it can be seen that the depression has been mould-formed, and not made in the traditional manner.
Not suggesting your piece is so formed, but just a snippet of information that might help the inexperienced.

Offline bennyprofane99

• Members
    • Murano
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 03:21:32 PM »
Hmm.
The search continues but I'm learning lots along the way so thank you.
I might pursue the BS investigation a bit more as this seems to be the closest though not quite right.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 04:00:40 PM »
Much wear on the base?

I wonder if it could be uranium glass? Not a typical colour for it but if you have access to a UV light you could test it and see if it reacts.

John

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 04:40:31 PM »
Would you be able to add a picture against a plain white background, and one with a sheet of white paper inside to block the pattern on the opposite side of the glass showing through?  What is the diameter at the rim?  It's not easy to tell the proportions from a picture, but at 6" high, I wondered if it could be a tumbler rather then a vase?
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline bennyprofane99

• Members
    • Murano
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 12:33:30 PM »
Hi there,
Yes, I can certainly show again with white paper inside so the pattern is clearer but sadly I don't have access to UV light.
Will post more photos later. Thanks for all the help so far.
Helen

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 12:53:26 PM »
Have to say my opinion is that this one doesn't look to have any uranium content, but I have been known to be wrong ;)      You might try an alfresco test for u. content  -  stand outside in bright sunshine and if there is some of the glowing stuff there, the small amount of u.v. in sunlight can sometimes pick this up.                Don't stand immediately over a concrete or brick path, or with wet hands. ;D     

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand