No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kosta Boda twisted vase  (Read 865 times)

Offline lettej

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Australia
Kosta Boda twisted vase
« on: February 07, 2020, 01:53:56 AM »
Thank you for letting me join your message board.  I am hoping that someone can help me identify the signature on this Kosta Boda twisted vase.

Thank you for your help.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
    • Glass in all forms ages
    • Germany
Re: Kosta Boda twisted vase
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 07:20:01 AM »
I can`t read it all, but I´m sure that it  is  Ulrica Hydmann Vallien.

I found other quite similar signatures from her at Google.

usually she singnes with U H Vallien and year
Monika

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
    • Germany
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 10:46:35 AM »

Offline lettej

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 12:51:09 PM »
Thank you for your help.  I can now see that it is signed Ulrica H V  with the Hydman Vallien abreviated.

Offline lettej

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 12:54:33 PM »
Maybe a bit easier to see in this photo.

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
    • Germany
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 07:46:20 PM »
Super, then we got it. As I said. She was the wife of Bertil Vallien,so far I know they are divorced now. Bertie Vallien still is the head of the creativ stuff at Kost Boda.

Hope you   enjoyed your first identification
Monika 

Offline kerstinfroberg

• Members
  • I'm foreign, please be gentle
    • Sweden
    • the Swedish museum of glass machines
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 08:51:15 PM »
I think the second line says ARTIST COLL which presumably stands for artist collection. Can't read the last line, but as it has 5 figures it is not a year.

At https://bergdala-glastekniska-museum.se/nedladdningar.html there are 6 files of the catalogue "Artist collection"  from 1992, specially made for the 250th anniversary of Kosta glassworks. (scroll down a bit; they are in alphabetical order)
At this moment I haven't got the time to look through them all, but it might be that it is in there.

Just for the general knowledge (or do I mean gossip?): Bertil Vallien and Ulrica Hydman (later Hydman-Vallien) were married in 1963. (At that time they were both designing/making pottery) They were still married when she suddenly dropped dead in their home on the 21st of March 2018. She started designing glass in 1972. She was also a painter.
Bertil Vallien was born in 1938, and considering his age I do not think he is "the head" of anything anymore, even if he is still active.

And... while I am "at it": Kosta is a village with a very old glassworks, est 1742, called Kosta glasbruk. It is still in operation.
Boda is a different village, even if quite near to Kosta. The glassworks was shut down in 2003. 
KostaBoda is a trademark, but at this moment I can't verify exactly when the trademark was created. (should have been in the '90ies, methinks?)
The trademark is still in use, even if a lot of the production is outsourced to various countries - at the top of my head I recall Slovenia, Czechia, Bulgaria, Turkey and India (from what is printed on their packages).
(The same goes for Orrefors (the trademark) - the glassworks was closed in 2013, production going on in Kosta plus sevaral other countries, among which one is Slovakia.)

The ownership, cross-ownership, bankrupcies and take-overs, trade-marking etc of the "modern" glassworks in "Kingdom of crystal" - for those of you that read Swedish, https://www.glasriket.se/sv/glasrikets-historia is a good place to start. For some reason it was decided not to translate that page, so I guess https://www.glasriket.se/en/The-Glassworks is the best the official website can offer to English-speakers. (You might want to try g**le translate to get an idea of the history?)

Kerstin from Bergdala, which is a neighbour village to Kosta.
(edit typo)

Offline Jay

• Members
    • http://www.hogelandshoeve.be
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 08:48:25 AM »
(according to collectors) 'Artist coll.' is the mark given when the designer has looked at the production and chooses some examples which they feel are 'perfect'. In many cases the rest of the collection is also sold, but without the 'Artist' mark. Sometimes ONLY the approved items are sold.
Dutch and Flemish 20th Century Factory Glass

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand