No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano (?) style obelisk  (Read 974 times)

Offline chasdevlin

• Members
    • 20th century glass
    • UK
Murano (?) style obelisk
« on: February 14, 2020, 10:03:39 PM »
Some months ago I bought a small job lot of coloured glass items from someone who had inherited them from an aunt & uncle. They'd bought them over many years on holiday trips to The States and the seller thought they were Murano, in fact I've identified most of them as being either Czech or Japanese in origin, but the piece below has eluded me. 
It's like a stretched paperweight or obelisk..a decorative sculptural item. It's quite hard to describe as there's a lot going on, but the main body has twists formed by three stretched bits of glass, which also create three deep recesses in the glass. The inner core of the piece has that kind of spatter glass that you see on those basket vases that came out of Romania. The base is highly polished.
It's just over 10.5 inches or 27 cm in height.

To my mind this could come from three or four countries (including a more high end Chinese piece), but it's a well made thing which looks to be of some quality. I know this one is a bit of a toughie, but if anyone has any ideas at all that would be most welcome!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Online Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Murano (?) style obelisk
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 02:38:14 PM »
I suspect you were right with Romanian - the colours look right

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 03:23:21 PM »
It might be a unicorn horn - if you believe in such things ;D

It might help in a search, I see Caithness do one: https://www.caithnessglass.co.uk/rainbow-giftware-unicorn-horn
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 06:15:10 PM »
Have you considered Jablonski from Poland? He made large colourful obelisks with "pockets" in too.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand