No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown Known - Threaded Diamond Trailed Chance Brothers Glass  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Geoff TSA

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • mostly 20th British
    • England
Unknown Known - Threaded Diamond Trailed Chance Brothers Glass
« on: February 18, 2020, 11:48:37 PM »
This 5.25" / 135 mm flint bowl has a trailed diamond pattern, and is signed on the base with the "Chance" logo in trailed glass; all very impressive.
I can find no reference to work of this style and quality from what was primarily a fairly industrial concern.
Anyone know what is going on here?   

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Unknown Known - Threaded Diamond Trailed Chance Brothers Glass
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 01:59:46 AM »
Hi Geoff, welcome to the board. The pattern is called Gossamer and it dates from 1951. The author of the Chance Glass books, David P Encill, has a website here you might find of interest. http://chanceglass.net/pages_pressed/index.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 07:24:11 AM »
Chance made a whole load of domestic glass, including pressed glass like this, oven to table ware and slumped glass Here is my not a collection http://www.lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/thumbnails.php?search=Chance&submit=search&album=search&title=on&newer_than=&caption=on&older_than=&keywords=on&type=AND

Offline Geoff TSA

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • mostly 20th British
    • England
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 07:56:36 AM »
Thank you both very much, very interesting, I was impressed by this technique; I had assumed it was "hand" made, but the accuracy and volume of a "range" makes this impractical, and odd in a pressed glass object; so, the "threading" was moulded. Rookie mistake.
I need a better magnifier, and I have 2 new books on my wanted list, [I've bought five this week already].
Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand