No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Royal Brierley ribbed decanter and glasses, for show.  (Read 2944 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Royal Brierley ribbed decanter and glasses, for show.
« on: March 04, 2020, 03:33:18 PM »
Marked 'Royal Brierley, England' 8 inches tall with 4 glasses, 3 inches tall, the decanter has a small polished pontil mark with some wear, the colour is what I'd like to think as being 'Keith Murray green' can't find this in any of his designs though  ::) ;D 1930s maybe ?  ;D ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Royal Brierley ribbed decanter and glasses, for show.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 03:53:46 PM »
It looks perfect for keeping Linda's Chutney in.  ;D
Nice wide top, fitting lid, and a beautiful thing to put on the table and serve from.

But seriously, is there a specific purpose to there being two lips? Are they to place a stirring rod in to act as a dam while pouring stuff but keeping lumps back; is it possibly a cocktail shaker rather than a decanter?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 04:25:05 PM »
very nice piece Keith  -  congrats.  -  and I too would have assumed a shaker in view of the opposing pouring lips.         Is the stopper a really good fit - and have you tried the u.v. torch?

Looking in Hajdamach, generally, the Murray greens that he shows look less bright than your piece - they're more of a dull dark green.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 06:18:04 PM »
Linda's chutney can stay where it is  :o it's good but it's not going in this  ;D ;D, think decanter is probably wrong as you both say more likely to be a shaker. The lips are covered by the stopper so no room for a stirring rod. The stopper is a perfect fit Paul and the green is darker, had to use a flash which made it look brighter, doubt it's uv reactive but I'll have a look  ;D ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 06:38:44 PM »
The rod would only be placed there when it's been opened for pouring, after a shoogle of the contents with the lid in.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 06:41:18 PM »
Got it  ;D it's uranium glass !  ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 07:18:42 PM »
see  -  I thought so ;D   it gave me just that little twinkle of brightness.  ;D                Having looked at several related type pix, I think the answer to the rod/stirrer question is that those deco sorts would have had a separate open topped container in which they mixed and stirred the concoction, using the rod, then poured the stuff into your shaker thingy from which it was poured into drinking glasses  -  I think. :)

sorry - what's a shoogle please :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 07:30:20 PM »
Shoogling is somewhere inbetween stirring and shaking. Not as violent as a shake; but a bit more than a stir.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 08:48:00 PM »
I was going to ask that  ::) this is the actual colour, bit blurry  ::) ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 09:01:10 PM »
hmmmm   -  now it doesn't look uraniumeeee    -   more Murray ish. ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand