No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: very small drinking glass  (Read 1862 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: very small drinking glass
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 02:58:37 AM »
Thanks. My knowledge of Scandinavian glass goes no further back than the 1930s. I see there's a modern kosta boda design that looks a little similar.

You can also get a similar form called 'Svalka' from Ikea in a few localities - for very little money: https://www.ikea.ee/en/products/kitchen/glassware/glasses/svalka-snaps-glass-art-60015131

But, of course, 'traditional Swedish form' doesn't necessarily mean Swedish production, even in older glasses. Kastrup/Holmegaard were making these in Denmark for at least the first half of the 20th Century: http://www.hardernet.dk/Stemware/Svensk_form-Holmegaard_1900.htm

There were undoubtedly other producers outside of Scandinavia, too.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 10:45:29 AM »
That foot is conical so probably from the earlier part of 19th century although I'm sure someone will come along discredit everything I've stated....
Thanks TGS.

Your answer highlights another gap in my knowledge. When referring to conical bases, I've always been unsure as to what falls into this category. I have a number of drinking glasses where the top of the base looks conical like this, but the underside is mostly flat except where the pontil has been ground or polished out. I wasn't sure if the references to conical bases included these, or just glasses where the underside of the base was also quite deep or domed to stop pontil scars scratching against table surfaces.

Books don't seem to satisfactorily explain this for me, as it seems to be confused by the transition from folded rims to polished pontils.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 12:14:37 PM »
it's likely that the majority of 'smallish' drinking glasses from the C19 and much of the C20 have some degree of conical  ism to the shape of the top of the foot, and of these most will have a flatish underside  -  it may simply be aesthetics and/or tradition.                 As mentioned by Jeff, historically - so the explanation goes - such glasses had originated with high conical shape to the their feet to avoid the pontil scar from scratching the table, though the days when a conical shape was essential were long gone even by the year 1800.              For my money too, feet with a conical appearance always look better than flat feet.

To say  ....................  "That foot is conical so probably from the earlier part of 19th century"  ………..   is misleading - not deliberately of course, and the glass in question may well have that sort of age, but that's to ignore the fact as I've said, that a big proportion of well-made glasses over the past two hundred years will frequently show some degree of a conical foot.

I seem to recall we chatted about folded feet some few years back, and the fold - possibly Italian crystallo in origin - was created to strengthen the edge of the foot, rather than having anything to do with pontil scars, in the same way that some of the Murano houses created folded top rims.             In the U.K., the folded foot made a temporary re-appearance some time c. 1820 - 1830, and of course it's been a Murano feature for much of the early and mid C20 on some of their impossibly thin creations.
IIRC, the reason why first half C18 drinking glasses were left with high domed feet - and the untreated scar - was more due to a lack of technical inability to properly remove the scar - thus you needed a high foot.           When they did begin to achieve this c. 1760, then the high domes were phased out, although some degree of dome remained.

Sorry - can't offer anything worthwhile as to a possible date for this piece - it may well not be British.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand