No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano glass with gold leaf  (Read 792 times)

Offline Andreadb

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Italy
    • MDZ Antiques
Murano glass with gold leaf
« on: May 20, 2020, 01:15:26 PM »
Good afternoon to all:

Is there any good soul who can help me identify the glass vase of these pictures ?

It is a thick glass with beautiful gold leaves embedded; it is 30 Cm tall and it does not have any identification mark. Considering the style, i assume it is from Murano, but I am not sure...it would be great if I could find out its exact origin and age.

Also, the foot shows a defect; I wonder if this was a repair due to handling damage or if it is a production defect, repaired by the factory

Thank you !

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Murano glass with gold leaf
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 12:05:10 PM »
Looks more French than Italian to me. I'd be thinking early twentieth century. The cased powders coupled with gold leaf is reminiscent of some Daum decors.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 09:25:44 AM »
My impression too for both the shape and decor, Schneider was a possibility that came to mind.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Andreadb

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Italy
    • MDZ Antiques
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 03:44:42 PM »
Thank you both for your opinion. And you are probably quite right. I had part of the answer on my shelves...look at the pictures. The orange vase is signed Daum Nancy, and it has a very similar metal embedding ! Sometimes I can't see things right in front of my eyes.  ;D

Schneider also has some similar shapes.

Now, isn't it strange that it does not have any signature or marks ? Schenider signed almost everything they made ? I know Daum didn't always sign.

And what about the imperfection (or repair) above the base ? Can anyone safely say if it is indeed a repair or an imperfection corrected at the factory ?

Regards

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand