No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Odd old silver mounted glass/goblet 19th century?  (Read 765 times)

Offline Novaglass

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antique
    • France
Odd old silver mounted glass/goblet 19th century?
« on: June 16, 2020, 08:46:21 PM »
Hi,

I'll admit to being a newbie here, both to the site and the world of glass. I do have a fondness of antiques and a collection of them however. I've been studying the field for a good few years now.

I recently purchased this peace. I found it to be rather charming but I was wondering if anyone else could help me with identifying it.

It's about 10cm tall. The silver base adds about 3 cm.

It seems to be hand blown and the décor is a mixture of painted and etched on (apologies for how unclear that will look in the pictures). It shows different plants and birds.

At some point, the stem has been broken. Only a small piece is still visible underneath. Unfortunately, the gluing job was a bit haphazard which has left that sort of cement stuff underneath and around the rim. I'm fairly sure that the base is silver, having cleaned it. There's also an "A&D" mark under one of the legs.

And that's all I know... I'm hoping that someone here might be able to shed some more light on this piece.

Please forgive the poor quality photos. I can get better ones tomorrow.

Thanks for your opinions,

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Odd old silver mounted glass/goblet 19th century?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 11:15:06 PM »
Just to start the ball rolling,for me it screams late Victorian from bohemia,I wonder if it had a glass foot originally and someone plonked it on the metal base ?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 12:43:25 PM »
I'd agree, it looks as if the metal base is a repair for a broken stem.
Not a clue about origins. The out of focus pic made me think Constance Spry, but I think it's just a general shape, and the lack of focus makes my tummy think that. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Novaglass

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antique
    • France
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 01:20:46 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the stem has most certainly been broken off and the silver part added. I'm not sure if it was specifically crafted for the glass but I doubt it given the rather crude cement job that's been done.

I've tried to take some clearer photos with a better camera.

I hope this helps.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand