No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Harlequin Bookends  (Read 813 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Harlequin Bookends
« on: June 22, 2020, 04:43:25 AM »
Am seeing if anyone has ever run across these Harlequin paperweights 6 1/2" height & base measures 5 7/8" X 2" width. Good mold work & glass quality excellent. I've collected Deco & a few Harlequin lamps over the years (40)  however only U.S. Harlequin piece I know of is by L E Smith & its a Harlequin Minstrel powder jar. These were sold as New Martinsville glass which I knew was incorrect & I am certain the are not any U.S. manufacturer so I thought perhaps a European manufacturer might be the possible. Thanks, Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Harlequin Bookends
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 11:36:35 AM »
I'm trying not to seem pedantic but is it a "pierrot" clown rather than a harlequin? It might help in the search for identification.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 12:05:42 PM »
I'm exactly as pedantic as you are, Nev.  :) This is a pierrot. The costumes are completely different. ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Ohio

• Members
Re: Harlequin Puerrot Bookends
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 02:51:29 PM »
Pierrot Yes I know. I used Harlequin as  Pierrot also shows up in that search & I've found absolutely nothing related to Pierrot glass bookends prior to using Harlequin so thought I'd try that. Porcelain, metal, marble bookends yes by the ton....glass Pierrot bookends for right or wrong also Harlequin glass bookends nothing shows up anywhere & being in glass for 41 years I was hoping someone familiar with European Glass might have an idea as they are not U.S. Thanks anyway.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 03:11:02 PM »
 :) Sorry Nigel. Teaching grandmothers to suck eggs again.  :-[
I had suspected harlequin might come up wih a lot of stuff in glass, making a search really difficult, as it's used to describe colour combinations.
Looking at the bookend itself - it looks fairly new and a tad on the gift-shop side of things, which would fit with a pierrot theme too.
I don't think it's Matts Johnason, but something along those lines. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 04:08:02 PM »
Apologies from me too. I can't help much with the identifying these but I did a quick search just under "glass bookends" which at least threw up some possible manufacturers, I think all them American.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 04:37:06 PM »
More apologies Ken. :-[
You're not a Nigel.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 06:06:19 PM »
Thanks. Actually I believe they are possible Czech as many years ago I saw a Pair of Bear bookends that had this exact base with the sawtooth marking on the base marked Czechoslovakia & went back to get them less that 10 minutes later at the sale they were gone. These are unmarked but since the narrow base design had the same sawtooth design on the base marking I had hopes someone might have seen them. I figured it was a long shot when I googled just about every combination I could think of even including deco Minstrel glass bookends & coming up empty. These are not U.S. as they were labeled New Martinsville which they are not, but probably someone thought since NM made the town drunk figure glass bookends that these might be related. Crazy though that nothing pops although that is exactly why I bought them as a deco type collector I knew I had never seen these Pierrot type bookends in glass in decades of collecting but though maybe just maybe someone in Europe might recognize them. Do appreciate the response though & its not the first time I've come up empty. Years ago I had a Kosta Lindstrand 16" cut vase that had a number that did not exist in factory records that turned out to be from the 1957 London manufacturers show & it took me 8 years to find that out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand