No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible 18th / 19th Century Glasses  (Read 762 times)

Offline catherine1234

• Members
Possible 18th / 19th Century Glasses
« on: July 20, 2020, 11:12:08 AM »
Dear Forum

Could anybody lease help identify the date and use of these three glasses. I have done some research and discovered that the two smaller ones may be sweatmeat or champagne glasses? How can I tell the difference? The tallest one has an etched rim and some traces of gilding. Would it be wise from a resale point of view to regild the rim? Any indication of recommended resale price would also be very helpful. I can only include four images with this post, so I will try to post more ina reply.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catherine1234

• Members
Re: Possible 18th / 19th Century Glasses
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 11:12:46 AM »
Two more images.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 05:55:52 AM »
Hi , the glass in the centre is more than likely from the Lauenstein glass house in Germany , second half of the 18th c, many of these but not all have a small lion engraved on the pontil area under the foot , your other two are sweetmeat glasses, the flared rim on the left glass would make it tricky to drink from and the right glass appears to have a folded rim for strength hopefully to avoid damage from the use of spoons to eat the sweetmeats, the gilding on the German glass should be left as it is , any restoration would have a downward affect on its value,, without handling to be certain of the age of the sweetmeats any valuation here could be way off.

cheers,

Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catherine1234

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 10:20:00 AM »
That is really helpful, Peter, thank you so much!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand