No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Henry Greener commemorative jug - Marquis & Marchioness of Lorne  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Henry Greener commemorative jug - Marquis & Marchioness of Lorne
« on: September 13, 2020, 05:09:40 PM »
For interest - a commemorative creamer/jug by Henry Greener celebrating the landing in Halifax Nova Scotia in 1878 of the Marquis of Lorn and his wife Princess Louise (Queen Victoria's daughter).  It appears to be unmarked.  Its decorated with images taken from portraits at the time along with roses, thistles and shamrock and has a nice rustic handle and beading.  The Marquis of Lorn was the Governor General of Canada from 1878 to 1883.  There's a really good image of a "spooner" showing the Marquis of Lorn's portrait on the front jacket of my copy of "English 19th-Century Press-Moulded Glass" by Colin R. Lattimore.  And an "opal" version shown here http://www.glassfairs.co.uk/Articles/sugar-basin.html
Anne E.B

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
Re: Henry Greener commemorative jug - Marquis & Marchioness of Lorne
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 09:59:59 PM »
9th Duke of Argyll, Govenor General of Canada 1878 to 1883 (Which is when most of my great-grandparents came to the Calgary area).

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 08:47:47 AM »
Thank you for showing this, Anne. The creamer is much less common than the sugar basin, and I have only seen the creamer in white/opal glass  before.

It was an unregistered design.

Fred.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 03:34:23 PM »
Thanks for that info Fred.  I was hoping you'd spot it :-*    I spotted a Greener flint sugar basin by chance passing a charity shop last week,  but didn't have any cash on me as I'd been out cycling so went back a couple of days later and it was no longer there, but this jug was!  How's that for coincidence?  Who ever donated them must have owned both pieces I think.  I will look again to see if any other associated pieces appear.  Just a question, three of the four National flowers are shown, but the daffodil for Wales isn't included in the design.  I wonder why?

Thank you Carolyn too.  Do you have Scottish ancestry?
Anne E.B

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 12:03:34 AM »
Scottish and English and maybe a little Irish on both sides! And my husband is Scottish (born in Glasgow) with the possibility of some Irish.

Carolyn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand