No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID HELP Potentially Italian or maybe Scandinavian? Angular gourd shape vase.  (Read 699 times)

Offline oldoldnotnewstore

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Hi there. Would love some help ID-ing this vase!

I'd describe the shape as an angular gourd or - more accurately - an inverted mushroom shape (!!). I'm a newbie so maybe I am not correct but I'd describe it as a form of cased glass: a white base with a mottled blue-black base, cased in a clear gloss layer of glass. I've had a good search about using various online databases but haven't found anything particularly close.

Finish-wise this is the closest I've found: https://www.selency.nl/product/YX9Z3V4P/vintage-empoli-black-and-white-mottled-glass-jug-from-italy-1970-s.html

Dimensions
Height: 15" | 38cm
Diameter: 10" | 25cm
Width of rim: 60mm
Diameter of base: 5" | 13cm
Weight: 2.238kg

Extra info:
The rim is cut and flat.
The base appears to have 2 pontil marks which have a lightly scratched surface. Otherwise the base is lightly dimpled.

Thanks in advance for any help! And if you need any additional info/photos to help with ID-ing please let me know.

All the best

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Hi and welcome to the board.  And thank you for the great clear photographs :)

Your vase is blown from the top and then cut from the rim. It's a bit hard to tell but it doesn't look as though the rim has been polished.  Polishing the rim rather than leaving it matt would have been a better quality marker to be honest.

I can't help with maker but I have seen a few bits around recently in white with black/dark grey decor on them.  I agree the one you've linked to does have a similar decor however I think yours would not have a cut flat rim if it were Empoli.

Hopefully someone will be along soon who might have seen similar and be able to help.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Thank you so much for your swift reply! Really useful to know re: the rim. You’re right - it hasn’t been polished, it’s more smooth and matt. Perhaps is a more contemporary mimic. But definitely would be great to have some more insight if anyone can shed some more light.

Thanks again!

Offline keith

• Members
That shape reminds me of some Czech pieces I've seen, will have a look and get back to you.

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Much appreciated Keith!

Offline keith

• Members
Had a look, nothing I'm afraid, sure I've seen that shape somewhere  ???

• Members
    • United Kingdom
No worries! Thanks so much for taking a look

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum