No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please Help with ID of early Frosted Scent Bottle  (Read 866 times)

Offline cre8tive101

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • id carnival glass
    • United States
Please Help with ID of early Frosted Scent Bottle
« on: March 01, 2021, 08:40:18 PM »
Hello Members,
Thank you for your help. I have an old French Scent or Perfume Bottle that I purchased from an auction years ago. When it was being auctioned, it had been told that it was an early piece of Lalique. It was also described with a name of its design, "Fire and Ice." I'm not sure that any of this is true. The Bottle is frosted and is smooth like silk to the touch. The design does resemble the flames of a torch. Its stopper is cork with a sterling silver cap. At the bottom, a 24 point star cut into the glass. There are letters and numbers etched along the edge. "RP33343" The two letters are slightly open at the top. So the "R" looks close to the letter "K". The size of the bottle alone is 4-3/4" tall and with the stopper inside it about 5-3/4" tall. Has anyone ever seen one like this?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Please Help with ID of early Frosted Scent Bottle
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 09:58:28 AM »
The number is actually RD 333643 which is a Registered Design Number. The D being smaller and at the top of the R. Looking on the Great Glass website, see link, this number isn't shown but is some time February 1899. It may well have been registered by an English importer, someone else may be able to help you with this. Does the silver cap have an English Hallmark?, it may be hidden somewhere in the repoussé work. http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/regnos05.htm

"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 01:11:49 PM »
After thinking about it, I don't think the stopper belongs to the bottle.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 01:40:29 PM »
I agree about the stopper, it looks too small. The outside of the neck also looks like it has been ground, so possibly it originally had a silver collar, maybe with a hinged lid? Is the inside of the neck ground too? That might indicate there was a glass stopper, possibly hidden under a hinged silver lid.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 02:31:51 PM »
Yes Ekimp, either a collar and lid or possibly an atomiser. I think it would have a rim around the neck if it had just a stopper.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 03:26:17 PM »
 :) I didn’t think of an atomiser. The hole does look rather large for a stopper that would fit under a lid.

Offline cre8tive101

• Members
    • id carnival glass
    • United States
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 07:54:26 PM »
Thank you all for the replies. The stopper is just marked STERLING, I don't see any Hallmarks. When I was posting this bottle I thought to myself if the stopper was original to this bottle. It is ground inside the neck and the hole is pretty large. If a stopper fit inside maybe some type of tonic was used in the bottle, not perfume.

Offline cre8tive101

• Members
    • id carnival glass
    • United States
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 08:57:50 PM »
I just used the link that you provided for RD great glass. Like you said the number on my bottle wasn't there. So I searched the names of companies with the numbers that were close to mine. I found Thomas Webb and Sons made many scent bottles. Most of them were Cameo glass. They did have collars around their neck with hinged tops. Perhaps my bottle had a collar and it was lost. Someone may of put a cork inside the lid of the bottle. The lid does have some splits at the bottom and a dent at the top. I also looked at John Walsh Walsh. There I found some very beautiful glass. Some with white iridescent treatment. My bottle does have a silky sheen but no colors. I think you got me on the right path though. Thank you!

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 09:14:57 PM »
I can’t help with the maker but if it’s been ground inside then it would be for a glass stopper, possibly with matching style moulding. Here are a couple of perfume bottles with large glass stoppers and silver collars:
http://ancientpoint.com/inf/37558-antique_english_sterling_silver_collar_swirl_cut_glass_perfume___cologne_bottle.html
Or this one looks a bit more modern:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-ANTIQUE-GLASS-PERFUME-SCENT-BOTTLE-WITH-HALLMARKED-SILVER-COLLAR/372799531612

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 09:51:22 AM »
American silver very often bore just the word "sterling" and this is now taken as a good indicator of its origin. I assume the original seller had done their homework and identified it correctly and I think it probably is at least French and was given an RD number on import. There are lots of Lalique pieces online but nothing exactly the same

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand