No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walsh? Goblet.  (Read 1152 times)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Walsh? Goblet.
« on: August 20, 2021, 11:02:59 AM »
I got this yesterday and after a search I think it may be Walsh. It is made in three pieces, is 16cm. tall and 11cm. across the top and does glow under UV, although not particularly strongly, but it may be masked by the green colourant and I do think it's uranium. In Reynolds book P.121 Fig. 299 there is  one similar, I think with the number A8248 although the stem and shape are slightly different. Walsh did make glasses with the baluster stem and the blade knop below the bowl but I don't know if the colour is right. It has a smoothed pontil and quite a lot of wear but only on a very narrow contact area.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Walsh? Goblet.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 11:52:24 AM »
nice looking piece and a good size too.        I've not the remotest idea whether it might or might not be from Walsh, but IMHO the bowl shape is more akin to an ovoid (rather than a goblet) -  a shape seen on some English rummers from the first third of the C19  -  have a look in Tim Mills book - I'm not suggesting this is that age, but just that the bowl shape goes back to c. 1795 - 1840.       Not sure about the comment that the green colourant might be masking the u. glow  -  I'd always understood it to be that it was the green itself that did the glowing ;D         You're correct of course about quality glasses being made in three parts.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 02:14:01 PM »
Thanks Paul, I do think it may have a good age to it. It has some nice horizontal striations on the bowl and foot from manufacture and a few bubbles. There are some seeds of very dark green colourant and with the overall dark colour I was thinking that it doesn't just contain uranium oxide, but that's speculation.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 02:36:47 PM »
With the double curve I'll call the shape an ogee.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 02:55:01 PM »
...and does glow under UV, although not particularly strongly, but it may be masked by the green colourant and I do think it's uranium.
Has your Geiger counter been much use in determining uranium content when the glow isn’t what you might expect?
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 03:58:29 PM »
How is the rim finished? Does it have a lead crystal ring? The quality doesn't look what I'd expect from Walsh Walsh. The darker greens do tend to inhibit the uranium glow a bit

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 04:01:10 PM »
I did wonder about ogee when I was typing  -  I think on reflection I'd suggest Nev is correct with his thoughts.  :)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 06:10:06 PM »
Ekimp, it does register above background levels but nothing spectacular, I think the glow is too intense for manganese. Christine, the rim is fire polished and has no shear marks. It rings beautifully but doesn't seem heavy enough to be lead crystal. P.393 of Hajdamach shows an early 20thC. amethyst glass copy of an earlier style and says the ogee shape is suspicious.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2021, 06:22:30 PM »
So does that indicate not uranium then? I’ve been wondering how you’ve been getting on with the Geiger counter and if you’ve found anything to confirm what Barrie Skelcher says about not all uranium glass having a strong uv glow. Do you take it to the charity shops?...I don’t like getting my loupe out  ;D
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2021, 06:39:17 PM »
The Geiger counter reading is high enough to show it's uranium. The uranium glass pieces I have vary considerably in the amount of glow they give off, from a dull green to an intense glow. I don't use the Geiger counter in shops as it clicks quite loudly, the looks I sometimes get when using a UV torch are bad enough  ;D.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand