No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help to identify 2 bowls  (Read 719 times)

Offline stemidd

• Members
help to identify 2 bowls
« on: August 30, 2021, 10:53:41 AM »
hi can any of you experts out there identify any of the 2 bowls ive pictured, asked on facebook with no luck

thanks in advance

stemidd

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: help to identify 2 bowls
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 01:02:12 PM »
Hi - sorry, the answer from me is no idea, on either, but just to say that pix one and three look to give a very big nod toward a fruit bowl shape by the name of 'Coolie Hat' designed by John Luxton for Stuart in the mid '60s.               Take it you've scoured the base for a backstamp  -  they can be difficult to find on some pieces.           Could be wrong, but the matt areas look to be acid treated rather than cut or wheel engraved.
Sorry this of little use - fingers crossed others will have something of real help.            It won't help with an attribution, but always useful to the folk here if you can include the size.         Why is the other bowl glowing yellish  - is it the glass that's coloured or a light nearby perhaps? :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline stemidd

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 01:17:21 PM »
LALIQUE IN STYLE & QUALITY - I'VE HAD A FEW LALIQUE BOWLS AND THIS ONE IS JUST AS GOOD AS ANY I'VE EVER HAD

VERY HEAVY - JUST UNDER 3.5 KILOGRAM!!!

IT HAS A YELLOW TINGE TO THE BOWL, ITS NOT URANIUM CHECKED, DEFO NO MARKINGS SO MAY HAVE BEEN A STICKER, THORT MAY BE ST LAMBERT ETC OR BOHEMIAN?

34 CM DIAMETER
9.5 CM HIGH

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 01:28:57 PM »
I can’t help much either. I might be wrong, but i think the bowl in pics 1 and 3 has been moulded and then turned on a lathe to grind away the high areas that are now the mat, frosted places. It’s hard to see from the pictures but there look to be distortions of the reflections around the frosted areas that look like those seen on moulded glass.

The yellow one reminded me of Powell/Whitefriars cut bowls from the 1930s.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 01:45:48 PM »
thanks  -   just a polite request please to drop the upper case text, it doesn't bother me but some people here seem to think it's like shouting - thanks. :)

Offline stemidd

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 02:30:33 PM »
its defo not moulded glass, its 100% cut and ground lead crystal & its got a polished pontil marked base, looks uranium but is not been checked under uv, one of the best bowls ive seen and ive had lalique ones too

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand