No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help Identify this massive vase...Gaspari, Poli?  (Read 1549 times)

Offline post50modern

• Members
Help Identify this massive vase...Gaspari, Poli?
« on: September 04, 2006, 04:13:46 PM »
Hello,

I am so glad I found this message board. I am a newcomer to mid century glass collecting and am impressed with the wealth of information and exchange of thoughts and ideas on this site.

The peice of glass I would like to identify is a mystery to me. It looks as if it could be a Gaspari piece but it seems to be less "delicate" than most of his designs that incorporate an internal helix. Also the colors are not as sophisticated. The green is saturated dark green, the yellow is a honey color and the red is blood red.  It a is HEAVY peice at almost 8 pounds and measures about 10" high. It is unmarked and smooth polished on the bottom. I did not pay a whole lot of money for it at an estate sale, but fear it may be a good quality China piece.

Any information would be appreciated and welcomed. Please view the photo and let me know what you think.

http://www.blafmedia.com/images/murano.jpg

Thanks,
Pete

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 05:12:37 PM »
Hi Pete and welcome to the board. My first thoughts are that it is a modern piece, though whether from a young studio or a well made Chinese piece is difficult to tell. I know there are a number of very talented young glassblowers in the USA who are capable of producing similar work, but I'm not familiar enough to ID this specifically, but am confident it's not a vintage Murano piece.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline post50modern

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 07:28:34 PM »
Thanks for the explanation! I do own some nice authentic vintage Murano and this one has always stumped me. You said you  were confident that it was not vintage Murano. Can you let me know what you noticed about the vase  that was telling of it's true "pedigree" or what made it obvious it is not vintage  Murano? I am sure, with experience and additional reading, I will be able to better identify vintage from modern..but until then your help is appreciated. :-)

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 07:36:41 PM »
Stylistically it looks like contemporary Murano, maybe Onesto for Oggetti (although they sign everything).  Just type in "murano vase" in eBay, and you're sure to see similar looking pieces.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 08:29:10 PM »
Looks a bit like Adam Jablonski to me  :?
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand