No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Does anyone know what this is? Uranium glass find.  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Does anyone know what this is? Uranium glass find.
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 07:47:56 AM »
I was thinking it might be air trapped, like this by David Huchthausen. It looks quite a similar design.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324150456574
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2022, 02:10:02 PM »
I see ribs, thinking dip mould.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline readitnot

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • US
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2022, 03:15:26 AM »
Your photos of the base are from directly above, can we have another please from an angle, say 45° instead of the 90°. Hopefully this will show a little more detail and we can agree on the way it was made.

Lovely looking vase...

John

Here are some more pictures. It is incredibly hard to get decent light on it without some kind of diffuser. I used a head lamp I had. Hope these are better shots of the base/ ribs.

I have spent hours scrolling through pictures online. Can't find a single one that looks like it. I've tried key words like spiral, twist, twist pattern.....nothing. haha It just makes me more determined to find out when/what company made it.

One question, is there anything wrong with using toilet bowl cleaner to remove calcium build up on glass? I wouldn't think that it can damage the glass. This vase had calcium built up when I found it. The cleaner really made a difference. I can still see some leftover calcium.

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2022, 07:35:06 AM »
  Seems to be a form of pillar- moulding. Of course with conventional pillar- moulding the ribs would be quite pronounced on the outside of the object. Much less on the inside, but still present. Reversed pillar moulded?

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2022, 08:58:47 AM »
I use a toilet/household descaler to remove any calcium deposits and it works well without damaging the glass. However if the glass has developed a "bloom" it is almost impossible to remove except perhaps by prolonged use of a polishing compound. I like your vase however I can't help with a maker although I do think it is fairly modern, although it does have a fair amount of wear on the base.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline readitnot

• Members
    • US
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2022, 05:05:56 AM »
Thanks for the reply on the cleaner.
I found this flower frog today at a thrift store. Unfortunately it has some chipping and a crack. But still in one pice. This one is a Cambridge Glass Co. from what I read online. Has the "PAT'D APRIL 11, 1916" on the side. Would this be considered vasceline glass? I think it has the right color...Im trying to train my eyes for what colors to look for. :) It passes the glow/radiation test.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2022, 01:43:21 PM »
I think ‘vaseline’ is a word used mainly in America for uranium glass. See wiki https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_glass (....there’s probably been previous discussion on the forum on the correct use of the word ;) )

If you’ve not already found it, you might find this article by Barrie Skelcher interesting: http://www.glassassociation.org.uk/sites/default/files/Uranium_Glass_sample_article.pdf He has a couple of books too.

Your flower block looks much like the Davidson ones that there are lots of in the uk, they were patented in 1910 and come in sizes up to 10 inch diameter! http://www.cloudglass.com/Frogs.htm
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2022, 10:54:38 AM »
This is a Fostoria open salt I've posted in the USA section which would be termed as vaseline glass, it is yellow but takes on a green tinge in sunlight. I've enhanced the colour to show how it appears to the naked eye.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline readitnot

• Members
    • US
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2022, 08:13:25 PM »
This is a Fostoria open salt I've posted in the USA section which would be termed as vaseline glass, it is yellow but takes on a green tinge in sunlight. I've enhanced the colour to show how it appears to the naked eye.

Thank you! Now I should have a better idea what I'm looking at if I see a piece.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2022, 08:21:07 AM »
I would be interested to see your flower frog under UV because I suspect it may not be uranium glass, even if it glows. The glow must be of the right colour and intensity. Not every green glow is uranium

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand